Diageo Agrees to Buy Don Papa Rum for Up to $473 Mln

I think there are many old batches around, which will take a while until they are replaced. It is unreasonable to expect the company to collect them for new labels.

However I am surprised they reduced the sugar content… I wonder if this is good or bad for its market share. After all, people mostly are trained to like the sweet things.

4 Likes

Well, unreasonable is so the one story! But I’m also not at all about to relabel the things!
I just find it reprehensible to polish up an obviously not so good basic product with cheap chemical means to then achieve maximum profit without informing the consumer about what he actually drinks there!

7 Likes

You have no argument with me there, Don Papa and the even worse A.H.RIISE (with their hundreds of nonplus ultra premium releases) are despised by me for that, both are horrible.

But, unfortunately, many people like them because they don’t care or don’t know better. And all the sugar, glycerin and vanillin (and whatnot) make it tasty for many. For the same reasons, people buy fast food, or any preprocessed food which is full of additives. Burger bread has lots of caramelized sugar in it, partially to keep it from being soaked through to fast, and of course because sugar is always a positive thing to our primitive brains.

7 Likes

I somehow dont get offended by this news. Everybody can drink what they like, buy what they like…

4 Likes

I agree with you that anyone can do what they like. However, the marketing campaigns that “premiumize” the poor-qualiy rums just give the broad audience an image that is a distortion of what rum really is. I think this is good for their profit but dertimental for how rum is seen by the non-experts and thus considered by the general public.

5 Likes

That’s the main issue for me personally. Everybody can drink what ever they like but Don Papa/Raise/Bumbu is not Rum.
The day before Yesterday I went to a serious cocktailbar here in Lübeck. When telling the bar keeper that I’m usually a Rum drinker I instantly felt uncomfortable, because 70% of there Rum collection was sweet rubbish. I don’t want to be associated with this stuff, it’s a category on its own like ‘Inländer Rum’.

Regarding the topic. A wider markets are of trash products isn’t a good thing because it does what Kudzey said.

It’s a pity that Rum is a Spirit category with this ugly cousin

9 Likes

Johnny Walker blue, black, whatsoever label, I hear you coming…

What happened to Whiskey and Champagne happens to Rum now

3 Likes

but that’s the problem…wait until they by Hampden, DDL,….

2 Likes

I don’t this will happen. They seem to focus on marketing-based products, not quality-based.

3 Likes

Agree …. A lot more people know don papa than Hampden, and Hampden are doing a decent job asking crazy prices themselves (new single casks)….

It’s a lot more lucrative to sell don papa to 10x the people at 10x the price than Hampden to 1/2 the people at 2x the price

5 Likes