Samplestau (how do you call it in english?)

I transferred my samples to a new box today. I have too much of them, I have more than I’m able to taste. Thanks to you!

If I try a sample a want to do a proper tasting with extensive notes, but this selfset requirement keeps me from actually tasting my samples or at least makes my process slower than the growth of the collection.

Another pa t of the collection are already tasted samples with rests in it.

What do you do against your samplestau and how do you proceed with the rests of your samples. Do you have an infinitive bottle?

5 Likes

It seems to be highly contagious :wink: I have been suffering from samplestau, too. Samples are piling up already in three large boxes. But I have to admit that I meanwhile enjoy having a comfortable number of reference samples for direct comparisons. For me this works better than comparing rums with one another purely from re-collection of memories or the app notes. To this end, I don‘t mind it that much, except for the space the boxes occupy.

4 Likes

This is another reason for not tasting rum. Tasting rum in the future together with. But then my flights are to big and I don’t enjoy them anymore. I once tried to cross taste three 2007 Hampdens and at the end I was totally lost and my pleasure im high ester rums declined since then.

3 Likes

You’re lucky to still have only boxes :rofl:. I have a sample shelf :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

We need photos!

3 Likes

I added some photos. Sorry my storage room has no bright light.

Unfortunately other than my bottles and the samples I have on storage for some of you here, my own sample collection is completely without order :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I still have a long way to go before I can compete with that :sweat_smile::clap:t3:

1 Like

Ok, now I get the WAF Problem you mentioned before

3 Likes

I have similar experience as I tasted Caronis too often. Tasting including writing notes in parallel (even if it the structure the app provides) takes its share of the joy and fun. So I learned that I enjoy Caronis less than before, which is good for the bank account. Now I am trying myself to restrict a while…

2 Likes

for the reasons you and Lukas mentioned, I limit it to 2-3 samples at one time max. I made the same experience, if flights get larger, I tend to lose joy in the tasting. I believe that good rums can be quite demanding, and each individual one needs full attention. With wine, it is somewhat different, where I can cope better with larger flights. But there, you do not actually fully consume it, and more generally, you cope with less alcohol…

4 Likes

I absolutely agree with this and that’s the reason the sample jam took overhand. I’ve only tried really good rums lately and I usually drink them over a period of 1-2 hours (which is possible with old quality rums) and modify my notes several times during that time. In the end I’ve only tried one sample then and this way, since I don’t drink rum on a daily basis lol, the amount of samples I buy and store was much larger than what I actually taste in the past.

4 Likes

I have some samples left too, stored in a wooden box, for the following reasons:

-Limiting my drinking to keep myself healthy to 1/2 to 1 sample per session
-having breaks between sessions

But I also tend to sample similar rums in the same time period, I.e. I am finishing up my Spanish style reserves and will then go on to all the different Agricoles in my box. Afterwards Jaica again, as I got some Hampden and Long Ponds thanks to you lot.

4 Likes

Ich hab normalerweise meist diese 2 Kisten voll, dürften so 60 Stück sein. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Wenns dann mal wieder kein Platz mehr hat, kommen wieder 2-3 Samples zum vergleichen/verköstigen dran.

5 Likes