The RumX Responsible Drinking Fund

I understand that I should have written my thoughts in English :smiley:

The current typical bottle split is someone has bought a bottle at a certain price, wants to split it, creates a post and then waits for participants. Some splits go through, some don’t find enough interest. May it be that the bottle was too expensive, the rum doesn’t generate as much interest or was split already.

We already took a step forward with some splits in December when we split bottles at a known price, but the bottle wasn’t actually delivered yet. So we created the splits earlier than usual. At least you were certain before opening a bottle that there is enough interest. But still the bottle was bought and paid before you knew if a split is possible.

The more advanced idea is now to create a split for a “RumX special edition 1994 REV” you don’t know the exact price for yet and don’t know where it will be available. The split would still be created for a certain bottle but instead of a known price, the price would be max. 300 € so everyone who takes part knows what the highest possible price will be. If the bottle is more expensive on the market the split can’t take place, if it’s cheaper, no one will complain.
The basic idea is that the person who buys the rum knows if a split is possible (and an expensive bottle can actually be financed) before it is actually bought and paid. The “true rum pirate” variant 2 I described above was a special case for rare bottles. I.e. someone makes a bottle split for a bottle to be released at a certain max. price. But since it’s a super rare bottle the creator may not actually get one, so someone else who has gotten the bottle at or below max. price can take over the split and participants and knows the split can take place. The take over of a split is purely optional though.

There are two main advantages vs. traditional splits.

1. You may want to try a rare and expensive bottle which may cost more than 100 € for a 5 cl sample. In such a case you might want to be certain a split is possible before you actually buy rum for more than 1.400 € a bottle.
  2. You may want to try rum or a set of rums readily available at a known price (this can also be 50 € bottles), but you only want to keep a sample for yourself. In this case you might want to make sure the bottle can be split up except your own sample BEFORE purchase so you stay within your budget.

Looking at super old threads from other forums 2. is actually the original idea of a bottle split. People throw some money together to then buy a bottle AFTER you are certain the bottle can be split. In the case of rare bottles it probably won’t be the question if there is interest but if the rum budget allows to buy even the sample. 2021 was a crazy year and I already know that I can’t spend quite as much in 2022 because prices will rise even further.

In the end be aware that traditional splits are NOT going to be replaced by this more advanced idea of a split. They can co-exist.

3 Likes