What would you do with a 4,000 € bottle?

Because I somehow started a discussion about this on a WhatsApp group I continue this topic here. Someone was asking for a sample of the Velier Uitvlugt 1988 which seems to go over the shelf for 4,000 € upwards. Is there anyone except rich people who just have the money or might even just brag with such a bottle who actually opens such an expensive bottle?
I mean I somehow understand investments in gold, but the logic in that is limited too, but why invest in rum to sell the bottle to the next “investor” who will wait for the bottle to become even more expensive.

Why I openly “fight” against the massive scalping of new releases is also because a very limited amount of people profit from it. Neither the producers, bottlers, retailers nor rum-nerds who just want to drink rum profit from it, so it’s absolutely legitimate if retailers don’t like the scalping as well. On the other hand there are enough retailers being aware of the situation, bottlers and producers to some extent too and this drives prizes to crazy levels even on new releases.

So to sum it up, my bottle limit is like 400 € right now and I buy at that price only if I know in advance that it’s epic rum like the 1994 Enmore by S.B.S or the 1989 HD HGML by RA and that’s crazy already considering that 2 years ago I wouldn’t have bought a bottle for more than 100 €. A bottle for 4,000 € upwards is not only out of reach for me, I wouldn’t even buy it if it’s the best rum ever, since I can have a dozen of other epic rums for that price.

2 Likes

Ich würde nichtmal eine Flasche für 400€ kaufen, denn dafür bekomm ich 4 Flaschen von doch sehr hochwertigen Rums.
Abgesehen davon das sowas mein Geldbeutel nicht zulässt, finde ich man sollte mal die Kirche im Dorf lassen. Man steigert sich da in eine Kostenspirale rein,so schnell kann man gar nicht schauen, da muss man sich ernsthaft selber fragen obs das wirklich wert ist!?

1 Like

Das ist immer eine Frage des „Können“ und „Wollen“!
Jedem das seine! Verstehen kann ich beide Seiten!
Ich kann auf einer billigen Digitaluhr genauso gut die Zeit ablesen, wie auch auf einer teuren Manufaktur-Uhr aus der Schweiz!

Für mich gilt beim Rum immer die Devise: was ich mir kaufe, will ich auch trinken! Nur für die Vitrine oder als Geldanlage……niemals!
Prost, Michael :yum::tumbler_glass:

6 Likes

I would sell it.
I like to drink 2cl two or three times per evening and that’s more fun than sipping a cl and wondering that it was just 50 euros.
But if money doesn’t matter, I would drink the whole bottle :slight_smile:
I should be a millionaire.

2 Likes

kommt immer darauf an, ob man dad geld übrig hat oder nicht. wenn man es übrig hat, dann könnte man sich ggf auch zwei kaufen, eine zum trinken und eine zum anschauen (oder später trinken). man könnte sie aber auch jemanden zum hohen runden geburtstag schenken. es gibt vieles was man mit so einer flasche zu so einem preis machen kann, aber es setzt immer voraus, daß man das geld dafür übrig hat.

auch wenn ich guten rum und whisky mag, und da preislich auch mal über das ziel hinaus schieße wenn ich etwas unbedingt haben will, so habe ich auch meine grenzen. und 4000 für eine flasche würde ich nicht ausgeben. hätte ich den monat über ja nichts mehr zu beißen, und das geht nun wirklich nicht.

1 Like

What would I do with a 4k bottle? I’d sell it for 5k :crazy_face:

(just kidding)

I personally won’t even bother looking after such “pricey” bottles…I rather spend my time getting along with other rum-nerds like myself, maybe even become “online friends”, and then maybe be lucky enough to be presented an opportunity to share/split some amazing bottles…and when it happens, you feel the need to give back something to such community and open your own unicorns, so that little more people can enjoy wonderful rums!

I personally have way too many bottles that i will probably open this winter, so that I can share some samples with you guys :slight_smile:

7 Likes