Availability of rums by region / continent

Der Raconteur ist halt von Velier und wird von Lmdw und Velier importiert und verteilt. D.h. die Velier Sachen kommen immer zuerst in Italien und Frankreich, dann Belgien und andere EU Staaten. Deutschland dann meist vergleichsweise spät über Kirsch. Uk kriegt viel, viel später und USA so gut wie gar nicht.
Die ECS dagegen kommen von Foursquare direkt und die beliefern USA und Uk als erstes. Für Deutschland ist hier auch nicht Kirsch verantwortlich. Die Flaschen kommen dann immer recht spät und in kleiner Stückzahl nach Deutschland.
Generell sind USA und UK aber um einiges schlechter dran als EU, was releases betrifft. Sind da meist auf heimische Abfüller angewiesen.

11 Likes

Bei einigen Mount Gays war es allerdings in der Vergangenheit ebenfalls der Fall, auch beim J.M La Dame Jeanne No 1 (klar, dass der zuerst in FR ankommt, aber der war auch in UK vor DE), bei den Zacapa Heavenly Casks und auch bei den Hampden Great Houses. Es mag meine selektive Wahrnehmung sein, aber es häuft sich.

Ist ja auch kein Thema. Ich überlege nur bei manchen Releases, ob ich sie für teils horrende Gebühren aus dem Nicht-EU-Ausland bestellen soll, oder warten soll, bis sie endlich auch nach Deutschland kommen. Und in letzter Zeit stelle ich oft fest, dass es ausreicht, abzuwarten. Wochen bis Monate, nachdem viele Raritäten schon in den genannten Ländern erhältlich sind, kommen sie in der Regel auch zu uns.

Und einiges wiederum ist sehr früh bei uns erhältlich. Daher will ich gar nicht meckern.

5 Likes

Wie gesagt, Ausnahmen bestätigen die Regel. Mount Gay und Zacapa sind jetzt aber auch verschmerzbar :see_no_evil:
Der letzte Great House war in der EU deutlich früher verfügbar als in Uk. Wird ja auch von Lm&V vertrieben.
Generell beneiden die Briten und Amis uns Europäer. Ja, Deutschland ist oft zuletzt dran in der EU, aber wie du schon sagst, hat man ja wenigstens die Wahl früher in der EU zuzuschlagen oder zu warten.
Ich wünsche mir da teilweise für meinen Geldbeutel eine schlechtere Versorgung :innocent:

10 Likes

DE ist auch nur später dran als die Top Standorte FR, ITA und Benelux. Frag mal Polen, Tschechen oder andere europäische Nationen wann die ihre “beliebige begehrte Rummarke”-Lieferungen erhalten.

9 Likes

Jup. Dänemark meist auch noch früher.
Was mich bis heute wundert, ist Spanien. Die scheinen hartnäckig an ihrem Zuckerwasser aus ehemaligen Kolonien zu hängen und Rum sonst zu ignorieren.

8 Likes

Jo, da ist was dran. Ein Nachbar von uns ist Pole und der nimmt ab und an was für seine Familie mit rüber, weil da viele Veröffentlichungen sehr spät oder gar nicht erscheinen.

2 Likes

Siehs positiv: Meistens werden hier Flaschen aus FR und IT gesplittet und man kann sich schon vor dem DE Release ne Meinung bilden, ob die Jagd und/oder die erhöhten Preise es wert sind oder nicht.

9 Likes

Mmhh also bei alcohol.cz sehe ich immer mal wieder spannende Sachen, aber die liefern afaik nur innerhalb CZ. Also so ganz arm dran scheinen die auch nicht zu sein.

3 Likes

Yes, not only the british and the Americans, the Australian rum fans (which are few and far between) also envy what you Europeans have available! Anyone living in Europe shouldnt be complaining about availability and what these new import taxes brexit and other things have created for you, we still have it far worse, aussie has one of the highest tax rates in the world on alcahol, especially with any distilled spirit. Hence why we see very very few of the independant bottlings you have at your fingertips. The sole Velier importer in australia only ever manages to get his hand on a handful (if hes lucky, we miss out on lots altogether) of each release, meaning they are horrendously expensive and rare as hens teeth. Its only becuase i have bought a lot from him over the years that i am sometimes given the chance to purchase some of these releases from him, some of them dont ever hit the public market. Hence why i purchase a lot from rum auctioneer and european based stores that can export with 150 euro freight charges, meaning i have to pay massive amounts of import tax before its allowed into the country. I would happily bet that its peaple like myself thats keeping rum auctioneer going (ive been reading with interest what this forum has to say about it), in a lot of cases its the only way we can get our hands on these rums (at vastly inflated prices) you Europeans can take almost for granted if you have the money😁
Australia is pretty much a rum wasteland except for a few odd imports here and there. Most of our population think Bundaberg is the only rum that exists( i was the same until 7 years ago). Have a read of my review of RX3812 //www.rum-x.com/rums/3812/ if you want a laugh!
Sorry, i dont want to come across as a complainer, its just the facts of the matter! I enjoy seeing what rum x has to say about various topics, a great way for us rum fans in far flung parts of the globe to keep up to date with new releases etc.

27 Likes

Love your review! And don’t worry, a fellow Aussie rum fan gave the Bundaberg an outstanding 9.6 just a few days ago :crazy_face:
unfortunately he forgot to give a comment and explain why he thinks it is a rare gem…

11 Likes

If you need anything that would be cheaper If I send it to you as a private person from germany, feel free to contact me :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Haha yes i see that! He is either being sacastic which we are very good at, or else he is genuinely proud of our bundy which could well be the case! I dont want to despise bundy as its basically an australian icon, however he can do so much better if he looks at some of the lovely rums coming out of babados, jamaica and guyana :grin:

8 Likes

Thanks for the offer! I should do some homework on that.

6 Likes

Appreciate the insight! At least you have Dead Reckoning as an independent bottler going for you.

6 Likes

Shipping is 50€ via DHL for up to 5kg (easily 2 bottles). The main question is surroundig the legal stuff. Shipping and exporting alcohol as a private person is no issue here on our side, the import side needs checking.

7 Likes

Yes you are right there! Justin Boseley from Dead Reckoning is doing a great job, i have tried most of them, and reviewed a few on rum x, I hope it goes well for him!

6 Likes

Yes, i would need to check it out my end, it would still be subject to our import duties i would think

5 Likes

That sounds really frustrating for a rum fan. All the more amazing that you stick to your hobby.

5 Likes

Yes it is frustrating, however its all part of the hobby for me! Its a great feeling to finally get my hands on a rum that i have been persuing for a long time! Certainly i dont let it stop me… its just the extra $$ i have to spend to make it happen that stings, and the wife telling me i am overspending which i can see is a pretty universal problem here on rum x😆

7 Likes

That’s a nice way of looking at it. So the term “rarity” takes on a much stronger meaning. So in Australia, rarities are really extremely rare.

4 Likes