Blog: How to taste rum?

Stepping into the RumX community is like opening the door to a world where the magic of rum takes center stage. Whether you’re a seasoned enthusiast or dipping your toes into the waters of rum appreciation, understanding the art of tasting can magnify your experience on our app. Here’s a detailed walkthrough to immerse yourself fully into the flavors and stories that rum offers, with the RumX app by your side.

17 Likes

We’re all on this journey together, and every perspective enriches the experience. Have you discovered any unique tasting techniques? Do you have a favorite rum that’s a must-try for beginners? Jump into the conversation below. Share your thoughts, learn from others, and let’s make the RumX community the ultimate space for rum enthusiasts. Cheers to exploring the world of rum together! :tumbler_glass::earth_americas:

7 Likes

II have found over time that it makes sense not to try too many rums per tasting. Five to six are useful in my opinion, after that the tongue is a bit “dulled”.

In any case, you should have eaten beforehand. For me personally, I find that the more protein-rich or fatty the food was, the gentler the rum aromas are on the tongue.

Some high-alcohol rums pack quite a punch if the alcohol is not well integrated. In that case, I would let the rum sit for a good half hour and add a little water if needed.

Most importantly, I think you need to find your own approach and determine for yourself the way you like to drink your rum. If you like your rum on the rocks, for example, that’s just the way it is.

7 Likes

In general I always leave my rums for at least 30 minutes before giving them a go. At most tastings I attend here in Denmark, all rums are already in the glass when you arrive at the tasting, so the most potent ones at the end have spend 1-2 hours in the glass.

When it comes to tasting, for me, sip number 1 (I chew and swirl it around in my mouth) and 2 (slowly swallowing it and create a vacuum on top of my tongue) are only to warm up the palate whereas sip number 3 is the important and scoring one. Sip 1 and 2 will also prepare your nose to what’s coming.

I very rarely add water and if I do then it’s usually 5-10 drops at a time (and because it really needs it).

The perfect sample for me is 3 cl. because it allows for 3 sips.

But we’re all different and have different palates, so it’s important that you find your own style if it can be called a style :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Sehr schön geschriebener Beitrag.
Meine Ergänzungen decken sich mit dem hier bereits Geschriebenen oder Diskutierten in der letzten Zeit.

• dem Rum Zeit geben zu atmen (kann 20 min aber auch 120 min sein, je nach Fall)
  • ein Sample auf mehrere verschiedene Tage aufteilen und die Eindrücke miteinander vergleichen um die Tagesform und -laune besser einschätzen zu können.
  • auf das Wetter achten: im Hochsommer etwas vorsichtiger mit hohen % sein, im Winter gerne auch mal würzigere Profile
  • bei großangelegten Tastings die Möglichkeit des “Spuckens” geben. Der Punkt wurde ja letztens sehr aufschlussreich diskutiert
  • Für Einsteiger oder nicht so erfahrene Tastingsteilnehmer finde Ich auch die Präsentation des Rums wichtig, um das Ganze greifbarer zu machen. Ein Ausdruck mit den wichtigsten Infos oder die Flasche zum herumreichen und anschauen. Dazu kurz und knapp die Eckdaten vortragen, damit jeder auf dem gleichen Stand ist, was im Glas ist.
  • Für erfahrenere Tastingteilnehmer Blind-Tastings. Entweder mit unbeschrifteten Samples oder auch noch mit schwarzen Gläsern von einer anderen Person eingefüllt. Schult wirklich die Geschmackssinne.
  • Mut zur eigenen Meinung. Jede Jeck ist anders. Es dürfen auch bestimmte Profile nicht schmecken, die vielleicht hohe Durchschnittsbewertungen haben.
9 Likes

Mir geht es ähnlich, ich kann mich in dem bislang Geschriebenem gut wiederfinden. Dem Atmen des Rum messe auch ich eine große Bedeutung zu.
Weiterhin benetze ich beim ersten Probieren Zunge und Mundraum mit dem Rum, um sie daran zu gewöhnen. Beim zweiten Schluck (Tropfenweise) lasse ich den Rum langsam auf der Zunge von vorne nach hinten fließen, so daß ich alle Rezeptoren der Zunge erreiche, um möglichst viele Aromen zu entdecken. Das kann sich auch mehrfach wiederholen, wenn ich mir nicht sicher bin.
Zum Schluß nehme ich einen etwas größeren Schluck und verteile den Rum sofort im Mundraum. Das ergibt oft noch eine weitere Nuance. Mit dem Nachgang lasse ich mir Zeit, da sich manchmal auch nach einigen Minuten das Aroma noch verändert.
Wenn es geht, versuche ich auch immer einen vergleichsweise ähnlichen Rum zum Gegentesten vorzuhalten.
Meine Tastings habe ich mittlerweile auf vier verschiedene Rum reduziert. Damit habe ich die besten Ergebnisse erzielt (Ausnahme natürlich bei Messen und Events :slightly_smiling_face:)
Das Testen an verschieden Tagen ist sehr sinnvoll, aber aufgrund von manchen kleineren Samples nicht immer möglich.

9 Likes

Thanks for your great feedback! I have already integrated the first tips and best practices you shared into the article. :smiling_face::tumbler_glass:

5 Likes