Bottle identification thread

I know for Olliver it’s a huge job to maintain the database and that sometimes our collected knowledge could lead to a better identification of especially older rums.

This week I’ve been trying one of these old rums and identifying it has been a challenge, jumping from the 1890s to the 1930 depending on the searches for the label and bottles.

Now there are different ways to identify and approximate age, looking at the bottle, label design, colours, what’s on the label, the cork or cap etc.

Going through my notes I have tried a lot of rums that are still not in the database. But once in a while one pops up because someone has been able to add it with an approximate year. I do know that especially between WW1 and WW2 many bottles do not have a vintage on them or where they originate from, but that’s where the fun begins and friends and friends of friends or contacts in the industry might help :slight_smile:

Just think this could be a fun project to trace and verify older rums.

I will add this first one, where Whisky Watcher and I have landed between WW1 and WW2.

23 Likes

Nice topic @KevinDK :sunglasses:

The Whiskynerd in me, is always hunting for old blends etc… Several reasons….like to try history in a bottle, love old labels and of course „digging deep to figure out more about a specific bottle“. Sometimes easier, as some brands are known for many years, but very often no real indication can be found on a label. Shrinked corks, handmade bottles, where you still see the gloves marks from the glassmaker, old tax signs etc….thats where the fun begins…:slight_smile:

One of my favorites (off topic)……bottled more then 115 years ago, still closed and we have the exact bottling date in June 1906.

Happy hunting…:slight_smile:

13 Likes