Bottlesplitters corner and best practices

Question: do you guys find parafilm necessary with samples?

To me it’s a bit “overkill” to be honest. For us, samples are for drinking I presume. But please, do elaborate about this.

4 Likes

For me Parafilm is more like a backup in case the cap might be a little leaky, better be safe than sorry :grin:

7 Likes

Yes. I experienced leaking samples more than once and even my new bulletproove super tight screw caps seem not to be that safe as advertised (as reported by two recipients.

My future samples will be sealed with parafilm again.

6 Likes

Thanks for this feedback. I’ve never had that experience with samples so far so I didn’t feel the need to do it.

But your reactions do make me reconsider. I wouldn’t be happy if someone who receives some of my samples would have a leaking problem.

4 Likes

I only observed the leaking in combination with plastic caps without safty ring so far. So I guess metall caps and plastic caps with safty ring are not affected and can be used without parafilm.

5 Likes

Hmmm currently I have plastic caps without safety ring. Parafilm it will be. Thanks Jost :smiling_face:

4 Likes

I dont think its necessary. But I received a lot of criticism when I send samples or even bottles withouth parafilm. So I started using it to avoid discussions.

It gives some kind of extra protection, but I think the risk of stupid mailman destryoing the package by throwing your boxes/samples around is much higher than leaking screw caps.

10 Likes

I ordered new sample bottles from a different shop (the shop was mentioned here before)

This time I went for 4cl and 3cl bottles and caps with safty ring.

The fill level of the 4cl bottle is fine but the 3cl bottle has quite some air in it when filled with 3cl of liquid. The caps look very good.

9 Likes

Mostly I see glass bottles in all the splits. Is there are specific reason PET is not used much? That seems less risky for breaking when mailed and lighter as well. As far as I know it should not have an influence on the taste either.

4 Likes

If I am not mistaken PET bottles have an expiry date and start emitting chemicals at some point.
With that in mind you are only able to store it for a limited time.

Besides that glass feels more natural to me. I know, not really scientific :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

PET is only partially resistant against esters like ethylacetate at room temperature. The resistance also decreases as the temperature increases. So I think PET bottles aren’t a good choice to store rum.

11 Likes

Thank you for your answers! :slight_smile:

4 Likes