Expensive white rums

just wondering about white rums i have seen some
expensive white rums …
so i was just wondering… are they for sipping or
is white rum just for mixing …
i only ever had white rums mixed …but obviously never spent a lot on them

7 Likes

i think that’s a fair question.

I do a lot of cocktails. And I already spent up to 45€/500ml of White Rum - but this is the most expensive White I have. I hesitate to buy releases like the River Antoine which is 69€in DE although it is a very good Rum.

I hardly drink White rums neat. Usually only once or twice to make meaningful tasting Notes. The flavors can be exiting but usually I miss a certain level of maturity for relaxed drinking.

This is why I don’t buy Rums like the new Romdeluxe Releases 89€/700ml. For my habit they are too expensive for regular mixing and I’d never finish a whole bottle of those Rums neat.

8 Likes

I think with the new available bottlings like clairin there is a place for sipping. And I think it is always a good idea to at least try them and find the nuances. But I am with Lukas, besides tasting them once I rarely drink them neat. Although rivers for me is something where I would calculate in a drink and than I use less and still get an okayishly priced if still expensive drink

7 Likes

I for example just ordered the Trewlany White DOK 2021 (RX10371) and I will use it for sipping and not mixing. I do the same with other white rums. I think it just depends on what you personally like and want to make out of it. There is no right or wrong :wink:

7 Likes

cheers for info

3 Likes

ok i will probably spend a decent amount on one one day cheers

3 Likes

The quality of white rums has gone up significantly in the past 10 years and many are now really good sippers :tumbler_glass::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

yer will definitely try a decent priced one

2 Likes

I love the white Clairins and there is a lot of great white Agricole. Not to forget the white Grand Arome or HERR :yum:

7 Likes

I tried many white Rum so far and I decided for myself not to spent too much money in it. Even if they are very good the price is sometimes too high for my perspective (e.g. the white RomDeLux 1st-5th draw Belize if I remember correct. Foursquare LFT white also…)
River Antoine Grenada I would buy again for 69 Euro.

6 Likes

think 70 would be my limit on a white rum

3 Likes

jarek i am pretty new to argicole style only had depaz vieux…so far but loved it

2 Likes

The price is another story. But there are definitely white rums out there which are good sippers. What sometimes is confusing for me is the score of a white rum compared to an aged one.

5 Likes

There is always samples!

8 Likes

I like to always have one white rum that’s for mixing (Daiquiris in my case) only. Something like Plantation 3 Stars, Doorly’s 3, The Real McCoy 3, Velier Veritas, etc. These are rums that I really like in a Daiquiri but I wouldn’t choose them for a neat pour.

Apart from that I like to have another bottle that’s good for both, something like the Savanna HERR, Clairins, WPE, St. Aubin, Baie des Tresors etc. I can’t drink them as often as aged rum but really enjoy them neat from time to time. And if you are not in the mood for a neat pour you can always make a stunning cocktail out of them.

8 Likes

I recently fell in love with the Clairin Casimir 2013.

6 Likes