Exploring Cuban Rum with César Martí

César Martí, a renowned Cuban rum master, shares insights into the creation of Eminente’s Gran Reserva Edition N°1. Martí discusses his Cuban heritage and the traditional techniques used in crafting this exceptional rum. We also introduces an upcoming RumX masterclass, offering an exclusive opportunity to sample and learn about Eminente’s rums.

17 Likes

Für mich muss ein guter Blend definitiv nicht zwischen zwei Welten liegen, sondern eine neue Welt kreieren. Keine deutlich trennbaren Aromen sondern perfekt kombinierte die sich ergänzen und harmonieren. Dabei können Gegensätze sich ebenso anziehen. Ich träume von einem weichen DOK mit starken Agricole Noten und perfekt eingebundenem Alkohol.

13 Likes

Defintiv sollte für mich der Blend ohne Zuckerzusatz und vorallem in einem Preisrahmen liegen, der nicht überzogen ist. Geschmäcker sind verschieden, deshalb wird es wohl nie den perfekten Blend geben.

11 Likes

Auch ich ziehe einen Blend ohne Zucker vor. Gerne auf der kräftigen und komplexen Seite. Am besten etwas was mich bei jedem verkosten immer und immer wieder überrascht, es mir erlaubt neue Geschmacksnuancen bei jedem Schluck zu entdecken

11 Likes

My preferred blend would probably be a well-balanced creation of the highest qualities of the usual suspects: Elegance of the Foursquare ECS, mixed with the wild fruitiness of a younger Rhum J.M and a spirited shot of funk from a high ester Hampden. Barbados-Martinique-Jamaica… but I would also like to be surprised by Cuba!

10 Likes

As i Just had the FS Isonomy in my glass i would say thats a great direction. Very well balanced but it keeps going and developes itself. Might a bit more dirtyness in the Profile but not overwhelmingly. I Love some fruity notes but also Like it dry when my throat still lives at the end.

10 Likes

I prefer a blend without sugar and with cask strength. Could be molasses based as well as sugarcane juice based or a blend of it. In the end there is only one rule: it should belong to your taste :joy:

10 Likes

Bitte so natürlich wie möglich. Ohne Zucker oder Farbstoffe. Der Rum darf gerne ein paar Jahre im Fass reifen und sollte eine Fassstärke aufweisen

11 Likes

Er sollte ausgewogen sein, kein Rum sollte dominieren und ohne Zusatz von Zucker und Zuckerkulör. Dazu ein ABV in etwa von Fassstärke und ein paar Jahren Lagerung.

12 Likes

Der perfekte blend sollte für mich zwischen 45-50% haben und möglichst ausgewogen, harmonisch pur zu trinken sein und dennoch eine große Komplexität aufweisen ohne anstrengend zu werden. Idealerweise sowohl ein easy sipper mit ausreichend Charakter für den Pur Genuss als auch für Drinks wie daiquiri, Mai Tai oder Rum old fashioned & old Cuban.

12 Likes

I bought a bottle of the RX16159 as I liked it being cask strength and - according to ER - being a nice complement to Cuban cigars. It did live up to my expectations. Thus, I would appreciate any further efforts into this directions…

13 Likes

Für mich sollte ein Blend nicht versuchen einen möglichst gefälligen Rum, ggf. sogar mit Zuckerzusatz, zu kreieren. Ich mag besonders die Blends die einen mit auf eine Reise nehmen und wo sich unterschiedliche Elemente erkennen lassen, der Rum sich im Mund entwickelt und man immer was Neues zu entdecken hat. Dabei sollte alles aber trotzdem zusammen passen, einen alten Guyana mit nem jungen Agricole kann ich mir bspw nicht vorstellen.

11 Likes

Für mich verbindet ein guter unterschiedliche Facetten und Stile und erschafft etwas neues und da sehe ich es wie @Henry nicht gefälligkeit sondern die Reise und das entdecken der unterschiedlichen Facetten.
Wichtig finde ich auch nicht zu “schwach” zu sein also mehr als die üblichen 40% bis vielleicht 50% haben. Kein Zucker versteht sich dabei von selbst.
Gibt einige Blends die mich in der Vergangenheit überzeugt haben, freue mich also sehr auf diese.

10 Likes

For me a blend should offer a new direction in taste.

It should be balanced and enjoyable to sip.

Drinking strenght 46% (43% to weak), no sugar added.

And, as this is a Cuban topic, it should be a perfect match to a cigar.

15 Likes

Reflecting a little bit more:
I think of two complete different directions, one is to create something new including strong character (e.g. Clarendoni, Velier Royal Navy), the other something round and enjoyable.

Again, we‘re on Cuban soil, expectation would be the later.

9 Likes

In terms of alcohol level, I would create a blend ideally around 48/50%.
In terms of taste and fragrance, I’d try to combine fruity and gourmand notes (a bit like Tigershark, for example), or more floral and gourmand notes, which is precisely the impression I got from Eminente when I tasted it.
The aim is to have a rum that’s really very pleasant to drink.

12 Likes

I d put some ripe fruits on an old leather couch, add some 70% chocolate, a hint of vanilla, some drops gasoline, some small pieces of a bike rubber tube and mix it all together with an used, oily workshop rag. Then add alcohol to about 55% vol.

I guess blending Jamaica with Guyana and Caroni would do the trick. Maybe also some drops Foursquare :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

For me an ideal blend should have around 55 (+|- 5) degree of alcohol, because lower it will lack persistence and higher it will a bit harsh to drink.
It should be pure, with no added sugar or other ingredients.
The taste should be with a lot of different aromas, wide and with depth, but should remain solid and in one taste direction.
The fact that it’s a something new blend or taste is clearly better.

10 Likes

The ideal blend should mix some lighter parts with some heavier parts. Taste, complexicity and depth should obviusly be the focus, but that goes for every rum.
Also you should be able to replicate the same style over a long period of time to get an advantage above limited single casks in terms of availability.

I would also vote for around 50% to make the rum easy to approach and not too overwhelming.

9 Likes

Difficult.

I guess, I would like something to give to my guests, who mostly are not rum afficionados and would find a cask strength rum too strong for their taste. So 45 to 50 seems a good ABV.
Also personally I like fruity expressions and found people expect some Ester usually, and so it should include some high Ester possibly. I fear, this then rules out Cuban rum as part of the blend, except as filler, as the Cuban part would be too light for really being noticeable in its character. Perhaps a bit Barbados then, and something that makes it a bit rounder and gives a good mouthful (like a milder Guyana rum).

As others said: unadulterated, of course.

9 Likes