Grand Arome Distilleries

Hello,
I’ve wondered if anyone knows any other distilleries then Le Galion in Martinique that produce Grand Arome Rums. So far I’ve never encountered any others.
Although Savanna isn’t in Martinique it’s the only other distillery, where I’ve ever seen Grand Arome rum come from.
Do you know any others?

1 Like

According to Rumporter :
Le Grand Arôme est un rhum très particulier dont la fabrication est très peu répandue dans le monde. Le plus proche dont nous avons la trace est celui de Jamaïque.
Celui de Martinique remonterait à la fin du 19ème siècle. Il aurait été élaboré par Monsieur Hayot, ou plus vraisemblablement, il serait la conséquence de négligences de fermentation et de conditions de propreté précaires.

Sa qualité aromatique, et ses conditions de fabrication, auraient été améliorées et stabilisées, par Monsieur Jean Laguarigue de Survilliers dans les années 1950.

Il n’est désormais plus produit qu’à l’usine sucrière du Galion.

And there is a "cahier des charges " : specifications for this rum, an appellation of origin. More informations here

This is different from the rum of Savanna. And to my knowledge, nobody else is doing it in Martinique (And even if they did, they would probably have to change the name of the product because there is a geographical area in the appellation.)

And you can try it here. There are still 2x5cl on this split. That is really not like the savanna’s. I tried it quickly and I was really surprised :astonished:

2 Likes