How old are your samples?

Hi community,

I want to know how old your samples are. How long do you keep them before you drink them up?

1 Like

Could be years… as long as there it not too much air it usually is fine…

7 Likes

Meine Sampler sind teilweise viele (über 5) Jahre alt … probiere hin und wieder einen der älteren und Raren Sachen .
Ergebnis keinerlei Beeinträchtigungen ,jedenfalls bei meinen.
Allerdings sind viele davon zusätzlich mit Paraffin Band verschlossen.
Ich hoffe das hilft dir etwas

7 Likes

Ist bei mir das Gleiche, teilweise mehrere Jahre alt. Bislang keine nachteilige Wirkungen festgestellt (sofern ordentlich verschlossen und aufbewahrt).

3 Likes

Ach krass dann doch so lange. Habe schon Bedenken wenn ein sample nen Monat “offen” ist.

1 Like

Geschlossene habe ich bestimmt einige > 5 Jahre. Nie den richtigen Moment gehabt oder geschenkt bekommen.
Offene habe ich auch schon mal ein oder zwei Jahre insbesondere wenn >= 5cl.

Zumindest ich persönlich habe noch keinen ¹ Unterschied erschmeckt zwischen Öffnung und Wiederöffnung und mache mir da auch keine großen Gedanken.

2 Likes

Habe einige wenige halbgeleerte Samples, bei denen sich Kondenswasser (?) an der Innenseite des Fläschchens sammelt. Deutlich ist, dass es eher Armagnacs betrifft.
Woran könnte das liegen und wie ist dem abzuhelfen?

3 Likes

I have the same problem, but only at home. This doesn’t occur with the samples that I store at my girlfriend’s place. I’m not home much so I don’t really heat my flat, maybe it’s the cold.

3 Likes

This is quite likely that the condensation occurs in cold conditions. Especially to the open samples when the alcohol has more chances to evaporate. In that case the other particles have less alcohol to be solved in so they fall off. Due to the same reason the color and opacity can change with time.

4 Likes

Yes, the place where I store my samples is quite cold - but much better than warm, isn’t it? :wink:

2 Likes

Cold conditions slow the evaporation down so this is good for storage. I think the condensated stuff will mix back as you move the sample to room temperature for consumption. Ayway, please watch it and keep us updated.

3 Likes

Is it worth putting parafilm on your opened samples? So far I haven’t bothered but maybe it’s important for an extended storage?

1 Like

I guess it’s not that the open samples are not hermetic enough, the screw caps are usually good even after many openings (I had only one issue with the sample bottle plastic screwcap so far). The problem is that you exchange the air every time you open the sample.

If you plan to store for long, consider moving the rum to even smaller sample bottle to minimize the air volume in the bottle. I ocassionally move my best sample leftovers from 5cl to 2cl bottles.

5 Likes

I have condensation only in bottles with aluminium caps. Never in bottles like the left one in the photo.

3 Likes