Identify a rum from the 1970/80s: Cazanove Maison Centenaire Superieur des Antilles

Please help me identify a rum from the 1970s or 80s: Cazanove Maison Centenaire Superieur des Antilles.

I received this rum and know very little about it. I want to know more and if you can help me or know someone who can, please help.

Facts I know:

• Agricole or Molasses rum.
  • Cazanova is an independent bottler from France.
  • Made at Centenaire distillery. I can’t find the Centenaire Distillery. Some resources say it was closed in the 1980s.

I want to know as much as possible as right now I don’t understand if it’s agricole or molasses rum, age or even country of origin!

8 Likes

Hi and welcome :v::tumbler_glass:

A quick research about “Maison Centenaire” shows that this might not be a very high-quality rum, as they seem to have released foremost low-priced rums. But that’s only my own impression on first sight.

However, our friendly tasting-giant @KevinDK has alsready written a 8.0 review in the App (but his text relates to a bar). Maybe Kevin can help you out.

5 Likes

I will have to write later in full, but this is for sure a molasses rum. In the metropolitan area agricole rhum was basically unheard of in the the 60s and 70s as it was not to the taste.

Also I am rather certain that the maison centenaire is just telling you that Maison Cazanove is in business for more than 100 years.

Also, i think you should really forget trying to identify a single country of origin, let alone a distillery. This would be a blend of different french distillers in the french antilles. Age statement also is not something that really was something to be stated in those times. For a in depth view on bottling dates please provide more pictures of the Bottom and the screw top. Thanks!

14 Likes

Here are more pictures:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vmesc32LF3eEvRJ1wbNy8x5j96BOQjv0?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Sorry, but why ask for photos if you ignore them?

@TheDunderHut is not a professionell, this is his hobby…
We are all no professionells if you want a fast answer, go to an auctioneer and pay for it.
Sorry for these hard words. We all do our best here to help each other, but we all have to do other things like work and family.
It would be better if you ask next time, if there some news and not if he ignored you

2 Likes

Hi Echo,

just got of work, so it took some hours to answer here! Indeed it has been now around 10 days since you updated some pictures. Thank you for this. And I am sorry you feel ignored by me. That was not my intention, contrary i have not forgotten about you.

But, and please keep that in mind, you posted this on the 23rd of December so in between your update and now there has been Christmas and the new year. As i have been away to family i had not had the chance to look at them yet at home. Which i do need to do since that is where my book resources for Glasswares are. Please also note that these books are terrible in the way they are organised. So to really land a hit on a specific bottle I am honestly not very familiar with this process usually takes around 1-2 hours. Since you did not give any hint of urgency in your request i have not yet looked at them. If you needed them earlier i am sorry about that. As said i have not forgotten that, but please give me a few days to find the time to look at the bottle to make a guess i feel certain about! Kind regards and a happy new year :slight_smile:

15 Likes

So Echo,

i now had some time to look into your Bottle. This answer of course is assuming that the lable is basically identical to the readable one you provided.

Lets start with the clear indications:
The Bottle itself has an reversed epsilon after the 100cl marking. This indicates the EEC voluntary marking of garanteed bottle sizes. Which means that this bottle was produced after 1975.

The Label also does not have a cotisation sécurité sociale on it, which would mean it predates 1983. Also the Alcohol is in °GL, which would predate 1980.

All in all i would safely assume that Glassware took some time to adapt to the garanty so probably you have a Bottle here from 1976-1979. Since the Glassbottle markings have a wider range that that, i fear this is the closest i can get you to!

14 Likes

Thank you very much!

I found the label online and it’s very similar, but I don’t know how close it is. Therefore, we cannot judge the degree or % ABV.

Thanks for the explanation about Э and 1975. I thought it would even be the 60s.

I think it’s 80’s.

I have pictures of a book on how to identify Scotch, but they don’t help with the French bottle.

This is not for commercial purposes. I want to review this old rum and talk about the independent bottlers of the time.

Thanks for your help!

6 Likes

Yeah, i know there is not too much obvious hints, but the 60s are basically out of the question since the corrosion on the cap show it is probably aluminium. 60s would be pressed sheet metal that rusts like crazy…

8 Likes

@TheDunderHut :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

5 Likes