Recreate famous vintages

Great topic! and actually made me googling hard from yesterday :slight_smile:

As @KennyOMG mentioned, it was done with Demerara and Caronis. It is clear for me that the accuracy of Caroni recreation can be verified as there are still some Tate and Lyle’s “original” caronis available (Caroni Navy Rum Tate and Lyle 90 Proof 1960s | Rum Auctioneer). Has anyone done such comparison, please let us know, I’m very curious of how similar the Velier’s Caroni are to the old ones.

Then we have the Demerara rums. From what I’ve read, the Guyaneese rum heritage was having a “factory reset” from time to time and this is why we are now crowdsourcing the marks (Crowdsourcing Guyana Rum Marks). Let’s take Skeldon, or the SWR/SVR, which is vastly talked about recently, as an example. We may ask “how do the El Dorado, SBS, Valinch and Mallet and other DDL-made SWR stuff compare to Velier’s 1973 and 1978?”. But, Is it the right question? The Velier’s Skeldons are also the product of recreation of the SWR style (probably with four-column Savaille Still in Diamond), as the Skeldon Estate ceased operation in 60s. In this case, I’ve never encountered any information about earlier Skeldon bottlings which could be considered more original.

Do you, guys, know about any older bottlings (pre-Velier in terms of distillation year) of Albion, Port Mourant, Versailles, Enmore, Uitvlugt, Diamond or La Bonne Intention? Or, more importantly, have you drank ones?

4 Likes