Rotating bottles to keep the cork moist

Sorry if this topic has been discussed somewhere before, anyway I can’t find anything about it.

I have some bottles that I do not expect to open for a few years. I know there is a hot debate about whether it makes sense to rotate bottles once or twice a year for about an hour or two to keep the corkn moist.

I have already read posts on whiskey forums about this and I find both the pro-arguments (cork does not dry out so quickly and does not become crumbly, higher tightness), as well as the con-arguments (cork is attacked by the alcohol and crumbles all the more, at the latest when opening) plausible.

What are your opinions and experiences? Does it make sense or is it unnecessary? Is it perhaps even harmful?

7 Likes

I rotate the bottles one every three months, for only few seconds. So far I noticed no problem with any bottle treated this way. And I’ve had several problems with never-rotated bottles in the past. I’m these cases the corks were obviously dry and crushed. But you know, it’s not scientific, just a random story from me.

5 Likes

I rotate them for a few minutes about every now and then, but I think it takes years for thr cork to dry an crumble. Plasticky corks like the ones in FS ECS bottles are no deal to this crumlbing and drying thing I guess.

4 Likes