RumX Rarities Experience: Day 5

Fantastic experience here, thanks RumX.
A quite rare Caroni.
Indeed I would have loved 5cl. :trinidad_tobago:

5 Likes

I was indeed quite curious to read the blind impressions today given that this one is among my personal favorite Caronis.
Glad to read that we managed to surprise (some of) you! :blush:

17 Likes

Vielen Dank @Jakob für diese super coole Flasche. Kam mir sofort bekannt vor :wink:

Jetzt zwei Wochen später als Einzelrum probiert hat er mir sogar noch mal einen Ticken besser gefallen.

9 Likes

Yes, thank you very much Jakob !

I must say that if sometimes difficult to spot a real good wine/rum with a blind testing. There is always some stress associated with it that is difficult to forget and that is interfering with the pure pleasure.

But blind testing is still the best way to approach a testing as we are all “labels drinkers” in a way or another.

7 Likes

Or maybe the rum is just not as good as everyone pretends it to be while knowing the label and the price (the wine world sends its regards) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For me I can confidently say that this one didn’t hit the spot (had it around 8.7) because of the minty and mentholy notes that I struggle with more and more recently (looks like my taste is evolving). Same goes for the 2001 TDLs. I can see why others find it great and the complexity is amazing, but if you personally struggle with a certain note, be it sulphurus notes in sherry whisky or whatever, there’s just nothing that you can do about it.

Nevertheless, certainly a highlight of the line-up and I’m super grateful for the opportunity to try it. Muchas gracias, Jakob!

And finally, isn’t it also great to have peace of mind about not having to chase such an expensive bottle because of the high rating?! :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I also love the TDLs from early 2000s and in parallel know quite some other rum aficionados that don‘t enjoy the minty/mentholy notes at all.
Having said that, I can fully relate to your statement (except for personal views on the rum, of course :smile:) and that is exactly why I like to hear unbiased impressions, since ultimately we shouldn‘t be scoring labels or designs but the liquid inside.

Anyways: There are still some other highlights waiting bringing different styles and flavour profiles into our glasses - so chances are high you‘ll find your personal favourite in another sample bottle. :wink:

7 Likes

Well, i tried not to read top comments :smiley:

Origin : TDL or Guyana

Nose : nuts, ananas, leather, woody

Taste : tar, menthol, Wood, cinnamon, and so many other things, it’s thick and very complex !

End : menthol, leather, spices, very long.

% 53 ? Sounds very reasonable

my guess would be Caroni even if i only tasted one :slight_smile: aromas and length are crazy.

In any case, must be my top 3 tasting of all Time !

2 Likes