RumX Rarities Experience: Day 5

Hey RumX Community!

It’s Day 5 of our RumX Rarities adventure! Tried the sample yet? Share your guesses and impressions below - distillery, age, ABV, and taste notes!

We’ll reveal today’s rum at 21:30. Stay tuned! :smirk::clock9:

Cheers and happy guessing! :partying_face::tumbler_glass:

Today's rum is:

Caroni 20-Year Heavy Trinidad Rum 60.21% RX258 | RumX

Did you recognise it? Please leave your comments and thoughts below

3 Likes

My nose says that this definitely has to be a Caroni, but which one :thinking: Regarding the price tags my guess is RX60 or RX150…but it could also be RX180.

7 Likes

Just tasted a little bit the rum while I am with some friends.

Definitely something Caroni-esque with the mint and the tar. I find it very smooth and enjoyable in the mouth. It could be one the 30th series for a light degree.

6 Likes

The nose is quite dirty indeed but with medium intensity and a slight menthol note in the back. Doesn’t necessarily scream Caroni but can’t be excluded either.

The taste dials back the dirt a bit and ups the minty/mentholy side. Alcohol is well integrated.

The colour is quite dark, though.

Ten Cane (2008) or early 2000 TDL maybe?!

5 Likes

Le nez est de type Caroni mais avec beaucoup de fruits, un petit côté beurré et d’amandes amères.
La bouche est très cohérente ce qui peut faire penser à un single cask ou une série de family casks.
Fruits tropicaux et fruits jaunes, poire et abricot.
La finale est superbe et riche, hyper longue.
Très beau rhum !
L’équilibre entre les fruits et les notes d’ateliers mécanique en second plan fait penser à un millésime 1996 ou décembre 1998.
Mais Olivier et ses amis ont sûrement trouvé quelque chose de plus original. Un Demeroni ? Peux-être, mais pas le Gran Torino, un Le Gus’t ? Non, pas tout à fait. L’impression de l’avoir déjà goûté me taraude.

9 Likes

The set has only one rum from Trinidad and it is confirmed there is one tropical aged Caroni there, so cannot be the other distilleries from the island.

However, a Demeroni could be possible indeed since we got tricked in the past with Gust and Torino too.

5 Likes

Well, after reading the announcement again, there’s only one rum from Trinidad and there’s a tropically aged Caroni. So this must be it, then (unless we’re in Guyana which I doubt, unless it’s one of the aforementioned Demeronis).

Slippery has been quite minty imho, even though few reviews mention this. But is was heavier on the industrial notes. Hmmm…

4 Likes

kleiner Tipp, das heutige Sample würde ich nicht so gierig verschlingen, ich nippe ehrfürchtig :smile:

4 Likes

Ha, didn’t see your post after I finished typing mine (which gets constantly interrupted by a certain someone who doesn’t want to sleep) … good thinking!

I’m kind of hoping for a Demeroni, because a) that leaves the Caroni yet to come and b) it would be a tiny bit of a let down (not the biggest fan of menthol in my rum).

4 Likes

RumX tasting on the road, can’t let a business trip interrupt the rarities tasting! :grimacing:

First thoughts: Would guess a TDL, clearly minty with some slight dirtiness. Ripe tropical aging, molasses sweetness, demerara sugar. Not really a Caroni for me… :thinking:

Edit: of course ignoring the hints from the initial announcement

6 Likes

No worries I understand :sweat_smile:

I kinda agree with you since I love those Demeroni profiles and I want to be surprised, but this one has some strong aromas that makes me say that it is the Caroni too ahah

5 Likes

na toll… no pressure und so :see_no_evil:

nächstes mal schreib das früher, ich hab schon wieder ausgetrunken :expressionless:

oder ich brauch das nächste mal ein 5cl set :thinking:

3 Likes

könnte teuer werden :grin:

3 Likes

what’s your guess? my expirience with tropically aged Caroni is very limited (two, maybe three)

4 Likes
Today's rum is:

Caroni 20-Year Heavy Trinidad Rum 60.21% RX258 | RumX

12 Likes

Wow, also doch Caroni :partying_face:

Für mich unerwartetes Profil, aber danke für die Teilung :blush:

Edit: vielleicht so anders weil es 1992 anstatt 1996 wie viele andere ist? :thinking:

8 Likes

Überkrass hatte ich nicht mit gerechnet

7 Likes

Wow that’s insane holy cow !!!

8 Likes

Puh, da bin ich erleichtert. Minty auf Platz 3 im Taste und Menthol auf Platz 2 im Finish.

Wäre daher jetzt nicht mein Favorit unter den Caronis, aber das ist in Anbetracht des Preises und der Auswahl an Alternativen auch gar nicht schlimm :blush:

Mega, dass wir ihn probieren durften :heart_eyes:

7 Likes