Smith & Cross wieviel Ester?

Hi zusammen,

Ich überlege mir mal einen sehr Esterlastigen Hampden zuzulegen. Kann halt nur noch nicht sagen ob er mir schmeckt. Als erste, günstige Alternative habe ich ne Flasche Smith & Cross gekauft. Den finde, gerade im Hinblick auf den Preis, schon sehr lecker.

Weiß man wieviel g/hl der Smith & Cross enthält?
Einfach nur als grobe Hausnummer.

Vielen Dank
LG Arne

3 Likes

S&C ist ein blend aus Plummer und Wedderburn Rums. Das sind zwei jamaikanische Kategosrisierungen von Estergehalt. Explizit 150-200 gr/hL AA (plummer) und 200-300 (wedderburn)

Also je nach blend zwischen 150 und 300 Gramm pro Hektoliter reinem Alkohol. Da ist im Jamaicanischen Bereich noch sehr klar Luft nach oben :wink:

4 Likes

Ansonsten lohnt es sich auch immer nach Samples Ausschau zu halten. Hier im Marketplace finden sich ja sowohl Flaschenteilungen als auch nette Leute die aus ihren ohnehin offenen Flaschen etwas abgeben.
Vielleicht lässt dein lokaler Spirituosenhändler dich ja auch etwas probieren.

5 Likes

Danke Euch beiden. Das hilft mir sehr weiter.

Lg Arne

4 Likes

The GC analysis I have seen for Smith & Cross noted that it was just under 150 gr/hlAA. (Funk isn’t all about esters. Volatile compounds is a more accurate measure.)

And yes, I realize what the label claims regarding Plummer and Wedderburn. I tend to rely on laboratory data ahead of what a label says. I love S&C regardless.

3 Likes

What’s your take on ester “reduction” during ageing? I’ve read the wedderburn share is aged 6 years. Could that explain the low-ish lab reading?

3 Likes

In many cases esters can go up. If water and alcohol evaporate from the barrel faster than the esters, we’d expect the amount per liter to increase.

The Case of the Missing Marque – The Barrel Did It - Cocktail Wonk

4 Likes

Maybe I should finally start reading that book of yours, before I ask more dumb questions :laughing:

Ok, so ester level generally goes up during ageing. I guess there might be counter examples, just like to the general rule that alcohol percentage goes down during ageing.

I’m with you on the “marque = ester level after destillation” issue, but as you mention there’s no norm and even V… seems to be a little wobbly in their denomination.

But all that aside, this means that some of the aged DOK might (now) even be way over 1600g/hlaa after ageing? :exploding_head:

3 Likes

In my opinion, the intensity comparison based only on the ester concentration in gr/hlAA is not particularly meaningful. Two different ester molecules can taste differently heavy. A Savanna HERR, for example, can have a lower ester concentration but still taste much stronger than an LP or Hampden. Another example would be that not all opioids have the same potency. Fentanyl is much more potent than morphine, but both are the same class of molecules. Going back to esters, it would make a lot more sense to compare them to a dilution-based approach, like what’s done with Scoville for hot foods like chili.

3 Likes

Ester levels can go up or down. A more advanced understanding of aging brings awareness that the various types of molecules (acids, alcohols, esters, aldehydes, etc…) can both break apart into simpler molecules, or join to form more complex molecules. This is fundamentally about the liquid wanting to achieve a chemical equilibrium.

I recently noticed a recent Velier bottling that stated the ester level range for the marque, as well as the ester level of the rum in the bottle, which was below the range given.

3 Likes

Esters are a one-dimensional data point in a multivariable equation. Relying only on ester levels only is like comparing spirits entirely on their alcoholic strength and nothing else.

Volatile Compound measurements provide a much more accurate view of flavor intensity, but still do not tell us what the spirit tastes like. Esters are just one component of the volatile compounds measurement.

3 Likes