The future of RumAuctioneer

The question is : will this lead to additional costs on all our bottle purchases abroad or is this excise duty already being paid?
If it is the case, it will clearly become more and more interesting to help each other by sending bottles!

7 Likes

Can German citizens buy alcohol from outside EU? I mean, are you permitted to cover the excise by yourself? In Poland only some companies with importer permit can buy alcohol from abroad and stick the polish banderolas, a mortal is just not allowed.

At some point in the past I wanted to buy a royal navy flagon. I consulted Polish customs and they told me it was impossible because the abv is not known. I told them I was willing to pay as if it was a 100% alcohol but law is law and they didn’t agree. :rofl:

5 Likes

Yes, quite easily. We just pay the excise duty as part of customs proceedings. The only thing required is beeing of legal drinking age (18+).

That is indeed a problem and maybe depends a bit if the customs officer has a good day or not. In that particular case I’d argue it’s official navy rum, so 54,5% abv is what should be used for calculation.

3 Likes

indeed, I did argue with customs in this way, and they accepted it. In case the cork and wax seal are intact, the ABV should remain at navy strength (54,5%)

2 Likes

You bought one of these flagons? 5cl please :innocent:

3 Likes

I mean the German excise duty is a joke anyway, when it comes to expensive spirits. It is something like 13€ for 1 liter pure ethanol. So it should be like 4 to 5€ for a 55% 0,7l bottle. A flagon has more litres of course, but still it’s just a tiny part of the final price. VAT is more of a devil here :innocent:

The excise duties exist for a long time already. In Germany it was called “Branntwein-Steuer” (Brandy duty/tax) before and goes back to the 19th century I think.
The EU directive regarding excise duties probably exists for a longer time as well, but afaik most shops didn’t care and just sold to other countries without paying the local excise duties. No idea, if this will change for “common” shops or maybe just big players, who can’t hide from the financial administration.

4 Likes

but isn’t it just same cost as what a UK customer pays ?

2 Likes

Ok so here’s what I don’t get. In this month’s whisky auction they mark the non-uk lots as price + 20% VAT. Nothing about excise tax even though you’re supposed to pay it, I assume, on importing alcohol to the UK. And I kind of fail to believe it’s easier and less work to run the bottles through the UK vs intra-EU

1 Like

Yesterday we talked with the guys from catawiki about the Rum auctioneer issue.
They confirmed the interpretation of @TheDunderHut
Catawiki is not affected by this regulation, because they are a platform for private sellers and not the sellers them selves.

14 Likes

Thank you for confirming this. Eventhough it is still sad.

5 Likes

What is the difference between a „private seller“ and a „seller“ in this context? According to new law auction platforms such as eBay (and I don’t think catawiki or RA would be handled differently) have to report sellers („private“ or not doesn’t matter) who sell a certain amount of goods or based on income.

There are many reasons this was introduced. There are scalpers (more known with IT products, but auctioning rum from the shelf is nothing different) selling usually new products at a profit. They often state to be private sellers which is in fact not correct by law. If you buy just 5 bottles of rum and sell them anywhere at a profit you have to pay income taxes because you are not considered a private seller anymore. Finance offices don’t have the capacity to catch everyone doing this so now the platforms are obliged to report sellers of multiple items. This way it will become much harder to buy the newest product and sell it at a profit and declare you’re a private seller. Overall it will mean a lot of work and liability for the platforms and every platform (also catawiki) is affected by this in my opinion. This is where I see the reason RA didn’t want to stay in the EU. They are very well aware that a lot of people sell products through their site stating they are private sellers while in fact they are making profits and need to pay income taxes for. By new regulation they can now be held liable.

5 Likes

The regulation which made Rum Auctioneer close it’s EU business is a different one. It’s not about reporting revenue of private seller’s.
As Arthur described in his posting above, it has to do with the obligation to report the exise tax, which they can’t because they buy from private persons without documentation of the initial sales processes. This is why they export all Bottles and reimport them. Through this they create a new sales process

4 Likes

You’re convoluting two separate things: the new legislature to REPORT online sales (eBay etc, above 2000 eur pa) and TAXATION for selling online (this is where RA struggles). The former applies to private sellers/buyers as well as businesses, while Catawiki and Co believe they are not subject to the latter as this —according to what one can read above— only pertains to businesses selling not businesses enabling transactions.

Notice that when you auction from RA, you get a shipment from them as it’s two transactions. They buy from the seller, and they sell to you. Catawiki in contrast you get the shipment from the seller directly, and they only enable the transaction including money transfer from buyer to seller (with a hefty cut, they are not charity by any standards)

Makes sense?

6 Likes

And rumtrades? Since the photos are taken professionally by them I assume they work similarly to RA. Same with Finesprits. If true, thay should be affected, too. Right?

Edit: same with any “classic” auction house. From Barnebys to WhiskyAuction

3 Likes

Yes but unlike RA they are not a purely UK based company. And considering all facts together. It is not at all impossible to do the model as they were doing it. But like Jacob described it, it really makes RA just theme a bit more shady in the way they did and do business.

3 Likes

I’d suppose all classic auction houses operating as RA are in the same bracket,i.e. face the same legislation), so time will tell if they can solve it (eg because their legal entities are set up differently in Eu) or ride it out by essentially ignoring it, or face the same destiny.

All I was saying was not to mingle this discussion with the online transaction REPORTING one.

3 Likes

Da das hier ja so hÀufig anklingt und auch in vielen WA-Gruppen immer Thema ist, schreibe Ich mal ein paar Zeilen zum deutschen Ertragssteuerrecht (sorry to all internationals).

Um Einkommensteuer zu zahlen, brauchst du eine Einkunftsart. Im Falle von “Rum-Flaschen verkaufen als Privatmann” wĂŒrden hier 2 Möglichkeiten in Betracht kommen:

1. Gewerblicher Handel. DafĂŒr brĂ€uchten wir einen nachhaltigen Handel in gewerblicher Form. Meistens schaut man da auf die Buchhaltung und auf die Art und Weise wie Sachen angeboten werden (also ob es Ladenlokal, Schaufenster, eine Webseite usw gibt). Bei der Buchhaltung gilt alles was noch in 2 Schuhkartons passt (einer offene Verbindlichkeiten/Forderungen, der andere fĂŒr Bezahltes) als privater Handel. Also das was die meisten Rumnerds so machen mit ihren Excel-Tabellen ist definitiv nicht vergleichbar mit einer gewerblichen Buchhaltung. Der andere Punkt mit den Angeboten sehe Ich in der Rumwelt eigentlich nur bei einigen Italienern oder Samples-Deluxe kritisch, die eigene Webseiten fĂŒhren und “richtige” Preislisten mit dem ganzen Sortiment haben. PrivatverkĂ€ufe auf Ebay oder in anderen AuktionshĂ€usern (geschweige denn in WA-Gruppen) erfĂŒllen definitiv nicht die TatbestĂ€nde von gewerblichem Handel. Wobei hier natĂŒrlich dieses neue Transparenzgesetz ins Spiel kommt. Wer tausende und mehr VerkĂ€ufe dort abwickelt, dem kann man eventuell schon eine gewerbliche TĂ€tigkeit unterstellen. Und nein, auch die eifrigsten Bottleflipper kommen da nicht in die Regionen um die es geht.

2. Privates VerĂ€ußerungsgeschĂ€ft. Ich glaube darauf beziehst du dich mit der Aussage: “Wenn man 5 Flaschen kauft nur um sie zu verkaufen, mĂŒsste man Steuern bezahlen.” Theoretisch hast du mit der Aussage recht. Das Problem ist hier aber ein ganz Anderes und wird hier viele schockieren. “Waren des tĂ€glichen Bedarfs” sind explizit von dieser Einkunftsart ausgeschlossen. Eine Flasche Schnaps fĂ€llt nunmal darunter (entsprechende Urteile gibt es aus der Weinwelt, wo es noch wesentlich hochpreisigere Sammlerflaschen gibt), denn Ich kann sie jederzeit einfach öffnen und wegtrinken. Dementsprechend gilt das was du aus der IT-Welt kennst eben nicht fĂŒr die Spirituosenwelt. Ob sich das Ă€ndert, mĂŒssten Gerichte entscheiden. Aber momentan sind wir da nicht bei Summen, die die Finanzverwaltung interessieren wĂŒrden. DafĂŒr mĂŒsste es deutlich mehr 5- oder eher 6-stellige Flaschen geben, die regelmĂ€ĂŸig gehandelt werden. Bei irgendwelchen 300€-Flaschen krĂ€ht da kein Hahn nach.

Angaben nicht verbindlich und keine steuerliche Beratung!

6 Likes

Sorry, das ist meines Lesens der Gesetze und der dazu ergangenen Erlasse nach leider nicht richtig!

FĂŒr das ErfĂŒllen der Voraussetzungen einer gewerblichen TĂ€tigkeit i.S.d. Paragraph 15 S. 1 Nr.1 EStG reicht es lediglich aus, wenn du sie selbststĂ€ndig (auf eigene Rechnung und Gefahr und in eigener Verantwortung), nachhaltig (regelmĂ€ĂŸig/ “Mehrzahl gleichartiger Handlungen”; auf Dauer angelegt oder (!) einmalig mit Wiederholungsabsicht) und in Ertragsabsicht (du möchtest damit Geld verdienen) ausĂŒbst (
und diese TĂ€tigkeit keine freiberufliche TĂ€tigkeit i.S d. Paragraph 18 EStG darstellt).
Schaue mal in den Richtlinien und Hinweisen zu Paragraph 15 EStG nach.

Kaufst du also auch nur gelegentlich Waren unabhĂ€ngig ihrer Art an, um diese mit möglichst viel Gewinn (!) weiterzuverĂ€ußern, trittst du wie ein HĂ€ndler am Markt auf (unabhĂ€ngig vom Umfang des tatsĂ€chlich erforderlichen Marketings!) und bist damit sofort ein gewerblicher Unternehmer (!!) (wie ein offiziell registrierter Shop eben auch!!).

Umsatzsteuerlich “rettet” die kleinen (!) privaten Reseller wahrscheinlich zumeist (
) Paragraph 19 UStG (im Endeffekt), aufgrund der dort eingerĂ€umten Optionsmöglichkeit (!) bei NichtĂŒberschreitung gewisser Umsatzgrenzen (nicht also Gewinngrenze!!).

Einkommensteuerlich sind die allermeisten “Normalarbeitnehmer die privat nebenher verkaufen” mit den Resellgewinnen sicherlich fix ĂŒber den “auswirkungslosen” BetrĂ€gen i.S.d. des Paragraph 46 EStG (HĂ€rteausgleich bei Arbeitnehmern).
Was das dann bei einer steuerlichen NichterklÀrung bedeutet, versteht sich von selbst (
).

Paragraph 23 EStG ist daher als Auffangsnorm gar nicht mehr von Bedeutung.

4 Likes

Der Punkt stellt dabei allerdings den Knackpunkt dar und mĂŒsste im Regelfall nicht nachweisbar sein.

1 Like

Da schließt sich der Kreis.

Beziehungsweise da muss der Kreis geschlossen werden
:wink:

Und ist jemand den tatsĂ€chlichen UmstĂ€nden nach ein gewinnorientierter HĂ€ndler, muss er sich hinsichtlich der Zahlen nun einmal auch fiskalisch erklĂ€ren und verantworten. Höchstens da könnte es vielleicht fĂŒr den Betroffenen "knacken "
:wink:

3 Likes