The smell next morning

Hi community,

I think its very interesting to smell your empty glass the next morning and find various other flavours that weren’t there before. For example the (empty) Sample Seventeen from yesterday now has a lot more wooden flavours. Its pretty awesome how chemical processes change your experience over the whole time drinking one glass. Your Rum has never just one set of flavours and thats ist what it makes so exciting to me.

14 Likes

I do confirm! I do it always and it amazing how the smell changing!
Cheers

6 Likes

I usually always do that when possible and yes there can be huge differences in the profile from almost nothing to a very different profile :slight_smile:

8 Likes

And who is washing the glasses afterwards? :wink:
No, in serious:
I hate it seeing the battery of empty used glasses the next morning, because it’s my duty to clean them properly (refuse to have this electronic dishing cleaner). :roll_eyes::woozy_face::pray:

6 Likes

Just water or soap too?

3 Likes

Goes without saying. :wink:

3 Likes

omg :scream: i was under the impression that it gets personal in this topic. Thanks god you are just discussing rum

8 Likes

Yes, interesting topic. When I quote a rum, I always try to smell the empty glass. That gives a lot of scents that were hidden behind other ones or by alcohol. I do it for wine tastings too.

I always keep my glasses unwashed to have the pleasure to smell them again.

Some rare rums smell so good you can transform them into perfume, don’t you think so ?

8 Likes

Actually I also thought about turning one into some kind of perfume :smile: but in the end you might just smell like alcohol to others.

5 Likes

There is Jamaica rum aftershave out there

6 Likes

I mean… one could just apply some Rum Fire below the ears and down the jawline. :blush:

4 Likes

I once got a whisky body wash as a gift. I felt like an alcoholic after using that :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

The best rums don’t smell just like alcohol, do they ?
It’s the large and profound aromatic palette of these very special aged and balanced rums I was talking about. I cannot think of it just like simple alcohol. Maybe I’m wrong, that would be truly sad :cry:

6 Likes

You are absolutely right. I’d think that the alcohol would be gone anyway on the next morning.

The smell is truly amazing, I have the feeling that it often get’s quite a lot sweeter compared to the evening before with more liquid in the glass.

4 Likes

Definitely! The next morning you just have all the light flavours without the acrid smell of alcohol. It’s like the concentrated soul of the rum.

4 Likes

I certainly do that too, if I forget to at least put some water in when I am not in the mood to wash. So interesting how smell changes. Best for me are high ester rums, next morning they still smell increddible. :smile:

3 Likes

Funny, the Sample Seventeen (60,5% unaged) smells extremly like BBQ-Sauce the next morning. I think we need a new addition after “Abgang”.

4 Likes

I find often quite sweet malt and Caramel like notes from glasses where some rest dried over night. Wood as well. British and especially spanish style rums do this I think. Unaged Agricoles and sometimes (but not often) high Ester rums differ.

But usually I do clear the glass quite soon, so I might have to try it a bit more.

2 Likes