Tobacco and leather nose/taste heavy rum

Hello,

I am looking for rums that have heavy smell and/or taste of tobacco and leather. I know older angosturas have it, but I am looking for something else. Preferably not sweeted.

I apprieciate all the help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You will laugh but… Bumbu XO is the rum with the most distinct tobacco taste I know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really?! I have tried normal bumbu and dis not like it really.

I had a strong sense of artificial flavours in bumbu and simply don’t trust them anymore…

2 Likes

Dictador 20, but its sweetened.

In General I would look for a south american profile, but most of them are sweetened. Maybe try a Panama Rum, they produce unsweetend Rums.

1 Like

I agree that Dictador is zero-transparency brand but still I will defend it and say it is not sweetened :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . Check out the hydrometer test here we rum | DuRhum.com

1 Like

I have tasted the “old” standard Range of Dictador, so the 12, 20 and XO Insolent. I have witnessed flavours there, that I have never tasted before in any other (transparent) unsweetened Rum. So I believe, that they added ingredients to the Rum, that no other Bottler would put in there. (Not necessarily sugar). Also they come from a country where I have little to no trust in any quality standards/surveillance.

And I do not need tests for that, but trust in my own taste.

2 Likes

I have tried dictator 12 and I have a sample of 20 at home. When I tried 12 it did not go into that direction too much​:thinking: but I will try and check :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They say they age their rum in the barells where they stored coffee first… so it’s somewhat close to “spiced rum” for me. On the other hand, every aged rum is “spiced” with wood. It’s not easy to judge them since they give no information at all (which is truly deplorable).

2 Likes

I agree regarding the lack of transparency!

3 Likes

Normal Bumbu is a banana liquor :rofl:, entirely different than the XO. To be honest, the XO is not a top-shelf rum either but I just remember that tobacco is the dominant flavour there, especially in finish.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for responses so far!

We have got Bumbu XO and dictadors.

Anything else? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I‘ve got the most intense tobacco nose from a british navy rum. But I guess that’s not the kind of rum you are looking for.

Apart from that you might try the Bellamy’s Diamond 2012 and Black Tot Finest Caribbean. Both have other far more noticeable notes, but I find at least some tobacco in them.

3 Likes

That seems like a convenient excuse. Are they really trying to convince us that barrels are used to store coffee? In Colombia? Since ages? I call bullshit! The truth is probably more along the lines of a few handful of coffee beans landing in the barrel alongside the spirit :grin:
That aside, my dad really liked the 20yo and even I could drink that when visiting (unexplainable coffee aroma > sugar shock).

Back on topic: @Redd any rums you have tried so far that go into the described leather/tabaco direction? Which rum made you look for that profile?

3 Likes

Hello there!

Yes, Angostura 1787 & 1824, Abuelo XV cognac slightly.

1 Like

I have not actually tried many rums of that kind. Fortunately I have a few sample so I will do so shortly :slight_smile:

2 Likes