What's the darkest non-colored rum?

Hi,
While rating, I realized I’ve never hit “old oak” or darker colors from the pallette. What is the darkest rum you know wasn’t colored?

5 Likes

Gardel 1983 was very dark from what i remember. Also some of the older guyanas, i tried (even though i am not sure which of them were coloured).

8 Likes

Appleton 1984 is pretty dark, as is the Damoiseau 1980. I think those are not colored afaik.

5 Likes

Appleton 1984 came to my mind too.

3 Likes

The SBS Beast releases are also way up there (but especially for the last one: not necessarily in a good way :sweat_smile:)

6 Likes

Silver Seal Wildlife No. 1 :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

If it helps…

My vote would go to the beast in this comparsion

9 Likes

The last Beast i think ist just aged Precoloring :see_no_evil: :rofl:

2 Likes

The Appleton 2003 is colored for example. So the 1984 could be as well, but no idea.

4 Likes

I believe coloring in the barrel is a common practice in various countries and it will be hard to tell which is the natural color and which color is added.

Maybe Matt’s Book will tell us something about this, but I just finished the History Chapter :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I guess it’s pretty hard to say especially since Guyana Rums are often coloured or before aging or having molasses added in the barrel. To me I guess the oldest and darkest natural rum I tasted so far would be the Bellamys 1983 Panama las Cabras Rum. 37y of aging took a huge wood impact :raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes