Why Does Jamaica Limit Its Rum to 1600 Esters?

Interesting article about high ester rum, describing the “magic” limit of 1600 esters:

20 Likes

It’d be interesting if they changed it one day

1 Like

" Eventually, H.H. Cousins, Jamaica’s island chemist, created a technique capable of producing rums with an ester level of 6,000 gr/hlAA."

Wie das wohl schmecken muss :thinking: :grinning: :grinning:

4 Likes

Just curious if there are some pre-1953 (or 1935?) rums that survived untill present :thinking:. There is this Long Pond from1941 bottled by Gordon and MacPhail but no idea what the ester level is.

3 Likes

I have talked to Alexandre Gabriel from Plantation about 6000 esters rums.
Yes, he distilled those rums. Yes, he tasted those rums.
Anyway he does not recommend to drink them, these rums just does not taste at all.

3 Likes

One more reason is, that it nit allowed legally to do it on Jamaica. There is a limit by the law 1 600 esters.

2 Likes

It is not that high in esters, it is pretty awesome though.

2 Likes

And of course those “rums” are created, and they are distilled regularly. For example: Ritter Sport chocolate in Germany uses a ca. 3000gram additive for its Jamaica rum chocolate. But in Jamaica it is simply produced as an additive and not a rum.

8 Likes

Do you think there’s any option for us to try this additive without chocolate?

5 Likes

I think the main problem is, that this is sold in way to large quantities. I think they do not benefit at all from publicity also. Because it would always need to mention that it is not proper rum, so from the producers perspective there is nothing to gain…

3 Likes

The reason I love the Ritter Sport Rum chocolates since ages. I’m fact, it seems like I favor rum which is close in profile (rum-soaked raisins = PX-heavy high ester)

2 Likes

If we could find out who is the supplier for Ritter Sport, we may could get a sample. Just tell them your a Chocolate Startup who is looking for rum aromas :sweat_smile:

3 Likes