#24DaysOfRum Day 19

We hope you enjoyed the previous rum and the accompanying discussions :yum::tumbler_glass:

Did you already try today‘s rum? What are your guesses? Leave your comments below. As usual, we will release the name of today’s rum at 21:00.

In case you do not want to join the quiz, we can also provide you with a full list of all calendar rums.

Today's rum is:

…and #3 of the Appleton Hearts Collection

Velier Appleton Estate Hearts Collection - 1999, 1999, 21 years, 63% | RumX

Which of the three did you like most?

Did you recognise it? Please leave your comments and thoughts below

First nose: this must be the sample of Pott, Adrian promised us!

4 Likes

Nice amber color, with brown-ish hues on the edges

Nose: the alcohol burn kinda covers most of the initial flavors…although I get some light fruity notes (plums and maybe figs?) then toffee, vanilla, licorice. It slowly develops a very gentle note of wood and leather (I guess…).

A couple of drops of water release more of those fruity notes (raisins), together with some herbal/earthy flavors.

Palate: wow, unexpected to say the least…it jumps at you with salted caramel notes, then the alcohol burn kicks in, followed by a spicy, peppery note. Those fruits are still there, kinda minding their businesses in the back of the scene :slight_smile: with some drops of water, they are kinda back in the game.

Fiercely warm on the back palate, suggesting an ABV possibly around 60/62%.

Finish: the very same salted caramel note remains in the background, giving more room to a woody, spicier and roasted finish (I get almonds).

The initial nose, especially, leads me to think Guyana, although that peppery/spicy note is a little bit off putting…could it be a bajan rum with some unusual cask finish.

With some water, it gets a little bit astringent, almost funk….Oh…wait…WAIT! It’s SUNDAY! Gotta be the Appleton 1999, then! :rofl:

6 Likes

Last time the Appleton was Guyana as well, for some. :wink:

5 Likes

Ich sag nix mehr​:rofl:, außer…geiler Stoff!:+1:t2:

6 Likes

Bin hier ziemlich ratlos🙃 obwohl ich stark das Gefühl habe die Signatur zu kennen. In der Nase kommen bei mir blumige, erdige Noten an, Geranie bspw. auch Trauben und Nuss. Im Gaumen dann pfeffrig, scharfkantig, Früchte, medizinisch, Konfekt.
Das blumige/erdige kenn ich von Uitvlugt aber die Früchte könnten auch aus einem hochprozentigen (Velier-) Jamaikaner sein.

5 Likes

In nosing I get wineberries, little Apple, Caramel. A little bit of rotten fruit. Leather I would miss, as I have worked with leather the whole day and am a bit desensitized for that.

On the palate hot, Caramel and a very slight sweetness. Also a bitter note, that lingers to the aftertaste. Fruit is there, but for me only in the background.

I would suggest a quite old Rum, the missing Appleton could very well be it.

5 Likes

All in: Das ist der Appleton Estate Hearts 1999

6 Likes

I have to stop reading here before I taste, it’s highly influential. I can’t get past everything you’ve described and agree with most of it. A little bit less salted caramel and more burnt sugar for me. And maybe some orange, orange peel, orange marmelade? A bit like Jaffa cakes?

As it sits in the glass, the alcohol fades away in the nose. On the palate however, it remains very present. ABV in the sixties.

Guyana or Appleton 1999 seems to me like a good conclusion . The orange thingy does makes me look more towards Appleton 1999.

Either way (or which ever way), it’s not El Dorado Albion, as I poured it for my father-in-law an doesn’t match this one :grin:

5 Likes

Calling this. (Pokerfacing)

3 Likes

Glaube auch das es der Appleton Estate 1999 :joy:

4 Likes

Wäre sehr überrascht wenn es nicht der Appleton wäre. Nase öffnet sich nur langsam, aber einiges an tropischen Früchten kommt dann durch. Leichte Frucht am Gaumen gepaart mit leichter Würze. Erzeugt ordentlich Wärme. Netter Tropfen, aber nicht ganz mein Favorit.
81 Punkte vorerst

4 Likes

There will be a lot of disappointed faces if it’s not the AH99 :see_no_evil::joy:

6 Likes
Today's rum is:

…and #3 of the Appleton Hearts Collection
Velier Appleton Estate Hearts Collection - 1999, 1999, 21 years, 63% | RumX

5 Likes

:joy::sweat_smile::joy::sweat_smile::joy::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ah, dang. I knew it, Adrian would not give us an easy win.

5 Likes

Wir Experten :joy:

5 Likes

Wow! Klasse Auswahl Männer​:clap:t2::clap:t2:

4 Likes

Ah well, it was our expectations, that tricked us. The bitter notes and Caramel fit well with a PM, and Appleton was just the easy calling. I am quite satisfied, as I would not have known what else it could be, except the Appleton or a Guyana.

3 Likes