City trip in Germany?

Hi guys,

I’m thinking about a (city) trip with my girlfriend (without daughter) to somewhere in Germany. Preferably not too far (we’ll probably travel by car) since we’ll only be going for about 3-4 days, probably in May.

Preferences: mix between urban and nature, active, good food, beer and rum (shop(s) and/or bar(s)). Cultural (musea etc.) is nice, but not a must.

I was thinking that Cologne or Bonn might be nice (both about 1,5 hour by car). But I’m open for all suggestions.

I figure that a lot of you have some “insider” information. So who beter to ask then the locals, right?

Thanks in advance for all answers provided.

Cheers!

6 Likes

I’ve already mentioned where you can get the most and best beer and, of course, good food.

It’s a long way to go and not really a city trip, but there is a lot to see there and I often go there with my children and they are very enthusiastic

3 Likes

Hi Tom,

I guess Cologne and maybe Aachen can be the right destination for this. There you have a lot of bars and cultural entertainment.

You better miss the “Ruhrpott”. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ofc i will vote for Rhineland and cologne/bonn area.
Friendly people, loads of sightseeing/historical stuff, great cultural life in cologne. For kids you could consider Phantasia Land. Rumwise we have some bars in cologne and some shops around the area, but nothing crazy like some stores in belgium or Luxemburg. Just south of bonn you have beautiful nature with some hills, valleys, rivers near father rhine.

Also you could meet up with some nice RumX member in the area, such as @mto75 , @TheDunderHut or me :innocent:

9 Likes

Hey Tom,

you have to visit Baden-Württemberg :slight_smile:
Beatiful nature (Black Forest, Bodensee) and cities. Also good vine and Beer (better than Bavaria :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

5 Likes

Franconia is not Bavaria :beers:

3 Likes

Heidelberg is a very nice city to visit for a day or two. Beautiful old town, the castle ruins atop and lots of good restaurants.

6 Likes

I know :wink:

2 Likes

geographisch schon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

How about Trier and the Mosel Area?

2 Likes

In Düsseldorf you can visit the shop “Spirit Bomb” and they have a very nice city with a lot of restaurants and stuff. In Cologne you can visit the “Kölner Rum Kontor”.

7 Likes

You mean the place or the beer?

2 Likes

I do think it would make for a nlce vacation, but for a longer period than a couple of days (and in that case, WITH our daughter). So for now it does not match the criteria. But I’ll put it on my bucket list :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve visited the Black Forrest area (around Freiburg) twice. In 2012 or 2013 for cycling (Kandel, Schauinsland and Fehlberg are very nice cycling climbs), and once more (I think 2014?) as part of a road trip via Trier and the Mosel region. It’s a beautiful region, I’ve went on multiple hikes there as well.

3 Likes

We’ve stayed in Remagen when my girlfriend was pregnant (2020, Corona era) with a friend. On a cycling trip, we’ve passed trough a part of Bonn (I remember a huge park). The scenery was indeed very nice and got me to think of Cologne now as a possible destination.

If I can sell this to the missus, that would definitely be an option!

5 Likes

You went through the Park Rheinaue and had a look at the Siebengebirge with the prominent luxury hotel Petersberg and the Drachenfels (which is very touristy).
I can highly recommend the area for cycling or hiking. Ofc it wont be alpine…

There are some more shops in Brühl and in Bonn concerning Rum, but as said nothing spectacular.

3 Likes

Man muss Gott für alles danken, auch für einen Franken.

2 Likes

what about the most beautiful city in the world? Hamburg! Baltic Sea, some nice Islands, or the Rheingau region (Wiebaden, Rüdesheim and the Rhine valley (Unesco world heritage))?

2 Likes

Cologne? Where they hammered a church from below through a plate of concrete? Where they sell cat pee as beer? Come on!

4 Likes

I did not say, go there for the delicious beer :rofl:.

2 Likes