Collective Order: Modern Caribbean Rum a Book by Matt Pietrek/Cocktailwonk

Did you look here?
They are cited as an example of European distributors and it seems that their shipping costs are quite low. So I was thinking that maybe we could go through them. But I think we’ll have to let them know in advance we want x number of books because they might be planning to sell quite few…

1 Like

399 dkk are 53€ - this is already more than a collective order with more than 10 copys.

I don’t want to push anybody, I just believe a collective order from the US is the cheapest solution

3 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t understand… 399dkk is the book’s price without delivery. They offer delivery in EU above 1000DKK. I tought that could be done with 13 books that will cost around 100€ each. Did I miss something, that’s clearly possible :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Example:
If we order 15 Minimalist Tiki Books (because that’s the reference right now) from the US.

We pay: 35$ for the Book, 12$ for the Shipping = 47$ total book price (+ shipping to your home which is the same no matter where we order)

If we order 15 Minimalist Tiki books in Denmark we pay
53€ for the book and no shipping (+ shipping to your home which is the same no matter where we order).

53€>47$

→ Collective ordering from the US is cheaper than collective ordering in Europe.

2 Likes

Order update: 5x MCR & 3x MT

1 Like

You forgot to add import tax (I think 7% on books) and associated custom fees. In the end the amount is more or less comparable.

Import: $47 = 47,20€ + 7% = 50,50€ + ~1,20€/Buch => 51,70€

1,50€ difference doesn’t seem to justify dealing with customs.

However this is based on the Tiki book. We do not know what the DK-store would charge for the new book.

Again: not trying to be negative here… just objective.

4 Likes

Yes, fair. That’s correct.

On the other hand, we don’t know when the new book will actually arrive in Europe. I’ve been chasing Minimaist Tiki for over a year.

The whole example was only used to illustrate, that I would not bet on lower prices for Matts books once they arrive in Europe

3 Likes

This unpleasant experience should also be taken into account and makes the “self-import” option a viable instrument, espacially for those that don’t want to wait for all the “ifs” and “whens” to clear up. Might be a bit more complicated and not necessairily much cheaper, but it’s one bird in the hand rather than two in the bush.

3 Likes

I would like to participate with 1 copy of mcr :+1:t2:

1 Like

OK thanks for the explanation, both of you.

We have to add something else : companies like UPS or TNT take fees on the customs taxation and sometimes these fees are high! I once had an unfortunate experience with TNT and it was explained to me that these companies go faster to send because they are sworn in by customs. But of course, this service is not free (in my case, we are talking about 60€ of expenses for a purchase of 100€ excluding vat!!!). This does not happen with USPS. In general, it’s 10 days to France, but without the additional administrative costs.

2 Likes

I’m glad that there seems to be quite a bit of knowledge about such matters here (Not at all my cup of tea) :sweat_smile:

Order update: 5x MCR & 4x MT :grin:

1 Like

Interesse liegt momentan vor für 1 x Modern Caribbean Rum und 1 x Minimalist Tiki

2 Likes

Ich hätte ebenfalls Interesse am Buch Modern Caribbean Rum.

4 Likes

Hi,

I like the modern rum book, sounds interesting.

2 Likes

https://m.facebook.com/ModernCaribbeanRum/

Hey everyone! So glad to see this enthusiasm for our books.

A few things I need to mention:

1. Whomever is in charge, please contact me in advance of placing a large order.

While our eCommerce platform (Shopify) is great for a small number of items, it’s incredibly dumb for many items, e.g., a case of books or more. It assumes that every order, no matter how big, can fit in a standard sized box. Clearly that isn’t true, and we have to break shipments into multiple boxes. This costs much more to ship.

Also, above a certain number of books, the shipping boxes become extremely unwieldy.

1. I’m happy to help construct a custom order that accounts for all the shipping issues and saves everyone money. I just have to know what the order quantities are, and a delivery address.

2. We are looking at some alternative shipping solutions using freight forwarding to save everyone money. However, if this does work out, I still need to construct a custom order on my end. It won’t magically “just work” with Shopify.

3. Depending on the country, there may be import duties, which we cannot easily pay on our end. Thus, whomever organizes this will want to account for that potential extra cost when quoting a per-book price.

So again, thanks for your enthusiasm, everyone, and I look forward to working with you!

22 Likes

It’s the man himself (I assume). Thanks for reaching out Matt!

6 Likes

Just to be very transparent, we have some initial discussions underway with a spirits retailer in the UK but haven’t yet had time to find/engage with similar retailers in the EU. We have some ideas as to who to ask, and certainly want to sell as many books as we can, but this effort is just one of MANY things we’re working on concurrently.

Also, the entire first shipment of books is coming to the US. Thus, any international retailer will very likely have to wait for our second printing, which depends on when we sell out of the first printing. Ideally, we’ll have the books shipped directly from the printer to the retailer – that requires a lot of coordination.

Also, we need to reach an agreeable price with potential retailers where both we and retailer can make a reasonable profit, and they don’t have to price the book substantially over cover price.

In short, spring or summer 2023 is not a guarantee at this point. But it’s possible if we sell out the first run by the end of the year. Just wanted to set expectations appropriately.

15 Likes

Thank you very much for your explanation, Matt! :+1::+1::+1:
Yes, there are obstacles. But I’m still interested in 1 copy of MCR. :wink:

3 Likes

Very cool book and initiative! I’m currently checking how we can best manage the orders and will get back to you with details early next week. :slight_smile:

8 Likes