Plantation Rum is Now Planteray!

I kind of like the idea of the new name, and I get their reason to change the name, cause of the changing times in the world. Hopefully they didn’t pay the marketing guys too much for that little amount of fantasy though.
And now to the rum; it would be interesting to taste some of their 2500(?) ester product, once again🔥

6 Likes

Natürlich haben sie eine solide Lösung gefunden und natürlich ist der Name nicht entscheidend sondern die Qualität des Rum. Ich finde den ganzen Wechsel eh Quatsch, aber so sind die Zeiten. Alles ok. Mehr als ein kurzes Auflachen ist mir die Thematik eh nicht wert. Namensfindung ist so ne Sache an sich. Ich fand es nur Amüsant das die Assoziation natürlich damit bleibt, außer Ferrand glaubt, das alle ihren Klappentext lesen. Hier steht ganz klar die Produktbindung im Vordergrund. Was wie schon gesagt voll verständlich ist.

8 Likes

Some of you are tough! I tend to agree with JakobM.
Personally, I don’t really like the new name, and I much prefer the old one, but here’s the thing: in today’s society, companies sometimes have to (or feel they have to) adapt themselves to new ways of thinking. In recent years, the avoidance of certain words has become commonplace because of the weight of the past. Personally, I find it sad that we prefer to avoid using words rather than publicly acknowledge the misfortunes and abuses we’ve caused (I’m talking about European countries), but that’s another debate and Alexandre Gabriel isn’t at fault here.
So back to rum, which is the main topic. What I hope above all is that the quality of their production will continue! Today, Plantation is a major player in the world of rum, offering something for everyone, from the most novice to the most amateur, from the most mixologist to the most purist.
Amongst the Rum Community, this brand is often criticized because of sweetened rhums, strange finishes and the fight about Barbados IGP.
Personally, I’m not particularly fond of the all finishes on the SCs, but they have their audience, and I think that if they didn’t, Planteray simply wouldn’t release them.
Today, Plantati…Planteray is doing something cool for the community, so I’ll instead look at the brand’s strengths.
First of all, I notice that the price offered for the quality of their rums is often good or excellent! Especially in Jamaica! The latest Jamaican releases of the Live are another fine example.
Today every brand has its fans and facebook groups. But look who does so much for them! Take out bottles like RX14181 for 150€ or host for a festival in which you can see and taste some treasure casks from Jamaica!
Alexandre Gabriel made it clear in Paris that new things were being explored. They’re really trying things in distillation and aging, retaking stills, not just for commercial reasons. They will not just seek to do a good marketing on countries not represented in the market bottles to create a new hype, and it is really a good thing to have such actors in the rum industry.
Alexandre Gabriel, whom we met for the first time this year in Paris, is a very approachable person, very passionate and very knowledgeable about spirits in general. His masterclass was quite interesting and, once again, tailored to different audiences, which is really good. So I’m glad he accepts to do something with the RumX community!
And last thing… you should try this High ester! :wink: As some of you know me, I’m usually not the biggest fan of Solvent bottles with a rum label :rofl: , but this one made me reconsider my position! :smile:
I keep my fingers crossed that the RumX community could have a bottle of this in the future! :tada: (and i’m pretty sure the RumX guy with me at this tasting hope the same :wink: )

23 Likes

I am sure that with most companies which are getting bigger there are thinks to like and some thinks not to like. I am kind of neutral with Plantation. My fist quality sipper was the Plantation Barbados 2000 and Trinidad 1999. So i have a great history with them. Personally i don’t like it that they rebrand because of some political movement even if the name alone does nothing wrong. Names and symbols are used for wrong reasons all along history. Something very incorrect in one country can be totally normal in the next one. They want to save the US Market i guess and that i understand. In the end nobody will talk about it in a few weeks. World is to fast to stop and think about what happend. So i drink some Plantation today and welcome Plant…e… ray. May they make good rum for little money :+1:

11 Likes

I also think they had the great chance to do it better. Dont wantd to know how much they spend on it.

I also had a suggestion for the new name rumtation based on rum and sensation :upside_down_face:

And i bet my service would be much cheaper :wink:

But i think its true name is not important as long as the quality is good and in a few weeks everyone is fine with it

6 Likes

Man könnte ja fast denken Diageo (Tanqueray) hat Ferrand gekauft und daher heißt Plantation jetzt Planteray :smile: ich finds auch sehr fragwürdig die Namensgebung und alles andere als gelungen :smile: aber gut haben halt die Amis und ihre seltsame politischen Einstellung gewonnen… Schade.

9 Likes

Ich würde da nicht so leichtfertig urteilen, es wäre durchaus vergleichbar wenn bei uns ein Bier ArbeitsLager oder KZ-Bräu heißen würde. Den Namen zu ändern ist überfällig gewesen. Ich war mit US Kollegen in der Plantation Bar in Nancy (Fr), die waren ganz schön schockiert über den Namen.

7 Likes

Or “liberation rum” to go with the politcal flow and still have 50% of the old Name in it. They should have asked us. Just free rum for payment needed :rofl:

7 Likes

Weiß nicht. Zu einfach. Aber bestätigt ja das es um den US Markt geht.

3 Likes

In wie fern ist die Distanzierung von einen der größten Verbrechen der Menschheitsgeschichte bitte seltsam? Grade von jemanden der sich beruflich mit einer historisch nicht von der Sklaverei zu trennenden Spirituose beschäftigt hätte ich mir etwas mehr Reflexion und Bewusstsein erhofft… Schade

6 Likes

Ich sehe es auch so.
Der Name ist ein Faktor.
Wichtiger ist für mich der Inhalt.
Die entstandenen Kosten bezüglich der Umbenennung wird der Verbraucher tragen müssen.

6 Likes

ich kann die Namensänderung nachvollziehen, das ist aber auch kein Thema, das mich zu leidenschaftlicher Diskussion vetleitet. Wichtig ist doch, dass Alexandre weiterhin solche Kracher wie den STC :heart: E 95 für uns bereithält :grin:

14 Likes

Irgendwo her kenne ich diese Flasche glaube ich

4 Likes

Es geht um den Namen eines Abfüllers. Nicht mehr und nicht weniger.

Wenn mich das Thema so betroffen machen würde, dann würde ich überlegen besser keinen Rum mehr zu trinken aufgrund der kolonialen Vergangenheit. Aber damit hat nicht der Name eines Abfüllers zu tun.

Andererseits ist es doch gut, wenn dir das Thema wichtig ist und die Firma nun gehandelt hat. Diejenigen, denen das Thema nicht so wichtig ist, fühlen sich sicher kaum gestört durch die Änderung.

10 Likes

Gemessen am Weltgeschehen unerheblich einfach gesagt. Überspitzt ausgedrückt.
Irgendwie wird das mit dieser ständigen Überkorrektheit in manchen schon übertrieben.
Trau mich schon gar nicht mehr Führerschein zu sagen und hab jetzt auf Fahrerlaubnis umgeschwenkt.
Will das jetzt nicht ins lächerliche ziehen und auch nicht auf die leichte Schulter nehmen, aber man sollte wegen eines einzigen Wortes nicht alles so eng sehen und nicht alles extrem negativ etc auslegen und etwas unterstellen

12 Likes

Thoroughly agree Zabo, well said. We all know that the company is not racist, its just a name! Woke virtue signalling at its finest.

10 Likes

My Facebook is exploding with PLANTERAY announcements. It’s creating quite a buzz, that’s for sure.

7 Likes

Bad joke to lighten the mood again:

If they had decided to change the name earlier, they could have called RX14309 “Plantaray Manta Ray”.

Sorry, that one was really flat, but I just had to do it… besides, Silver Seal was faster.

11 Likes

All this has made me thirsty :tropical_drink: :grin:
What could be better than a super Jamaican? This one is clearly one of my favorites, and it was really, really good!
Cheers!

17 Likes

Plus Baldur’s Gate 3. A man of culture.

8 Likes