RumX Rarities Experience: Day 9

Hey RumX Community!

It’s Day 9 of our RumX Rarities adventure! Tried the sample yet? Share your guesses and impressions below - distillery, age, ABV, and taste notes!

We’ll reveal today’s rum at 21:30. Stay tuned! :smirk::clock9:

Cheers and happy guessing! :partying_face::tumbler_glass:

Today's rum is:

Rhum Supérieur Grand Arôme 1970s, 54% | RX16715 | RumX

Did you recognise it? Please leave your comments and thoughts below

3 Likes

Today a small part of the Franconian Tasting Gang is tasting together. We just poured … and hope we’ll stay sober long enough to guess educated enough. … with @DomM & @zabo

14 Likes

Absolut keine Idee. Fiji? Barbados? Ratlos.

3 Likes

Für uns ist es auf jeden Fall kein Demerara und somit zwangsläufig entweder der Martinique oder der Marie Galante.

Auf jeden Fall etwas älter.

Aber danach etwas ratlos.

7 Likes

Wir sind uns auch einig, dass es trotz der Insel ein Melasse Rum sein könnte. Aber da gibt’s ja nicht viel, was wir probiert haben bzw. Auch von MG oder Martinique kommt

edit: haben mittlerweile auch schon etwas Schlagseite

6 Likes

Schwierig - ich glaube nicht, dass ich den schon
Mal im Glas hatte.

Einer der verbleibenden Franzosen - vielleicht eher auf Melasse Basis… tendeziell auch etwas älter basierend auf der den schweren / dunklen Noten.

Fazit: No idea :man_shrugging:t2: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Ich schaffs heut sehr wahrscheinlich nicht rechtzeitig. Klingt aber schon mal spannend. Viel Spaß beim rätseln!

5 Likes

Difficult one indeed.

Nose: it could be Bellevue, even reminds me of 1982 Long Ponds someway.
Tasting: French agricole, old JM or Chantal Compte (thinking of the 1977)

6 Likes

We’ve been thinking about 98 Bellevues as well, but they are Guadeloupe and not Marie Galante

5 Likes

French style rums have a lot of similarities so it’s always tricky to guess them.

From my very fast tasting, I have a nose that looks like an Agricole rum. A bit of sugarcane, grass and spices, everything underlined with a nice wood. It goes a little on pastry notes after breathing.

The mouth is strong, the agricole side dominates but the spices and the wood are making it quite elegant. It’s also a bit strong, so definitely a high voltage (would say over 55%)

The finale gives some nuts and bitterness in the mouth followed with the wood and some sugarcane notes.

I have a feeling that this one the Martinique Rum, I would say La Mauny with a Chantal Comte bottling (or a very old edition they made) or a Depaz brut de fût. However, I would also hesitate with JM and Neisson, since they have high quality rums with lots of spices notes and elegant wood touches too.

5 Likes

2nd tasting and Bellevue comes to mind, less old Martinique.

3 Likes

Un nez lourd et herbacé, cerise amarena, boisé, angélique, fruits.
Un alcool très bien intégré, le chêne est très présent mais sans lourdeur. Cerise amarena, plantes amères.
La finale est très longue.
Un très beau rhum avec une grande cohérence.
Toujours difficile de deviner, mais il ne fait penser au Damoiseau 1980 (RX1240) ou alors, second choix, à un single cask 2001 Bielle LMDW avec l’étiquette blanche et noire (par exemple RX4918 ).

4 Likes

I also have those red fruits notes with a bit of honey. It could be Bielle with a nice single cask too. This is a tough one

5 Likes
Today's rum is:

Rhum Supérieur Grand Arôme 1970s, 54% | RX16715 | RumX

7 Likes

Oh that’s why they said in the description « Legendary Grand Arôme » that’s quite surprising !

Could we get a picture of the bottle or the label to see what it looks like ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think this is the one :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Indeed, that‘s the bottle (picture is from opening day when filling the samples, looks a bit paler now :smile:)

14 Likes

Thanks for this true rarity !

6 Likes