Talking about Calvados

Hey,

I tried some Calvados in the past and really liked it. I am thinking about buying a bottle and wanted to get your opinion. Do you have any recommendations?

Since I liked the Christian Drouin Hampden Angels a lot going for the Caroni, Long Pond etc Angels might be a logical next step. But I don’t wanna spend that much money on my first bottle.

Has anyone tried the Christian Drouin standard range or has any other suggestions?

6 Likes

Hi,
Dont know Christian Drouin but i always have a bottle of chateau du breuil in my shelf.
Last nice one was from VIARD

Just my 2 cents :wink:

3 Likes

I haven’t tried an awful lot of Calvados but in my opinion Christian Drouin is already top class. Although expensive.
In general though older Calvados are significantly better. In my opinion the younger standards are a bit underwhelming once you tried older ones.
Nonetheless if you liked the Hampden finish you will like the other finishes, too.

Edit: Chateau du Breuil is good value for money. But generally speaking I like Christian Drouin better.

5 Likes

You can also try Michel Huard. But again the older the better or there is a good vintage.

2 Likes

Da hatte @Alex_Kunath leider recht… Der holt mich nicht wirklich ab. Im Vergleich zu den Angels von Drouin finde ich diesen sehr alkoholisch und dadurch eindimensional.

Der frische, apflige Geruch im leeren Glas gefällt mir aber.

4 Likes