The insane hype of the Caroni distillery

These are photos of the past obviously :smiley:
There are no more Caroni barrels in Trinidad or any other tropical environment (besides maybe Guyana and some more “very last” Velier barrels).

5 Likes

I would be very surprised if so :grinning: thanks for confirmation

1 Like

There must be quite some barrels left in a damp cellar somewhere in the UK. I think we will keep seeing releases for at least the next 5 year. As long as you keep them in an almost non-reactive barrel, it should be no issue.

Once we really start to run out of barrels, we might see a revamp of the Caroni distillery. Just my two cents. Or my wishful thinking.

5 Likes

Seeing the current 98-Caroni-Hype and the many releases this year, I would think that the bottlers are trying to milk the cow now. Prices on secondary market are already dropping, so there might be some indications for further price-dropping in the future with decreasing interest in ultra-premium (expensive) bottlings.

But of course bottlers like Velier and Bristol will always have another “very last” Caroni Bottling in their backhand due to their sheer amount of barrels they could buy.

Also interesting to see that we are slowly witnessing other rare vintages like 1991 and 1995 by smaller independent labels (such as Rum Shark from Czech Republic). Maybe we will see some other new stuff in the future. There might be some hidden 2001 barrels somewehere.

13 Likes

And don’t forget about the very very last bottles from that barrel they ‘forgot’ about :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Velier may release „another last“ after the „very last“…
Interesting are again the high prices of the new paradise releases which are all rated below 9.0 in the „epic Caroni tasting“. A bit weired.

4 Likes

Isn’t #4 1996 at 9.2? At least that’s what I remember from checking after the LMDW newsletter came. Still, how many other 9.2 rated rums can you buy for that kind of money?!

4 Likes

I thought they are all from the lower rated barrels; I compared the recent releases, vintage and cask, against RX; they all seemed to be in the lower ratings, but might be wrong

3 Likes

I think RX15932 and RX15923 are next in line to be released, the former beeing rated 9.2, the latter 8.7 at the time of writing.

3 Likes

At least from Velier’s side the Paradise series should mark the end of the official Caroni releases. The background to the series is that all bottlings are single casks. Those casks were picked during the 2019 ceremony out of the remaining stock. In other words: The casks selected for the Paradise series were the best of the respective vintages still represented in Luca’s stock, following the tasting assessment by the gentlemen invited to the tasting event.
From our experience at the Epic Velier Caroni tasting earlier this year, the releases coming with the Paradise series did indeed impress us quite a bit. Not each and every release, but the overall quality is stunning and some of the selected casks were absolutely outstanding - our verdict on these releases was unanimous.

16 Likes

u r right, #5 is rated at 9.2, but still a cheaper the last would do, wouldn’t it?

1 Like