Ultimate Mai Tai

@igor_loves_rum
Das original Rezept aus 1944 verlangt 0,75 cl Rock Candy Syrup & 0,75 cl Orgeat.

Der Orgeat ist ja ein Mandelsirup.

Ich persönlich finde es mit 1,5 cl Orgeat einfach besser und auch die meisten meiner Freunde. Der Zuckeranteil ist also weiterhin ähnlich aber es ist mehr Orgeat forward.

So mache ich ihn:

2,25 cl Lime Juice
1,5 cl Meneau Orgeat
1,5 cl Pierre Ferrand Triple Sec Dry Curaçao
6 cl aged Jamaican Rum

13 Likes

Top danke für deine Antwort…werd ich probieren. Heute alles bestellt :joy:…abgesehen vom rum( aber den hab ich hier)…werd mal beide variationen vergleichen…danke​:+1:

6 Likes

Bin sehr gespannt wie du es findest und was du bevorzugst. Mit welchem Rum wirst du starten?

3 Likes

Ich denke erstmal mit Hampden HLCF Classic um reinzukommen…überlege aber auch den Great House 2020

4 Likes

GH2020 ist in meinen Augen der beste GH im Mai Tai. Da kommt schon sehr viel zusammen was ich mag. HLCF Classic ist aber auch ein wirklich schöner Einstieg. Wird halt nur schwer danach Rums im Mai Tai zu mögen, die unter 50% sind, schmeckt dann wie Wasser, aber geht den meisten ja auch pur so. Poste gerne mal deine Ergebnisse. Essenziell ist für mich vor allem der Orgeat. Der Meneau ist einfach mit Abstand das beste was man bekommt in Europa.

Hier noch ein Tipp für schöne Gläser.

8 Likes

My key ingredient is Oregat. And I always use homemade. It’s easy to do: I just need almonds, water and sugar, I’m sure there are no other ingredients. I also use homemade rich sugar syrup with a pinch of salt (great Tim from Smuggler’s Cove book!). My rum of choice is usually Appleton 12 rare blend (the new version “rare cask” is also good). The recipe goes:
3/4 ounce of line juice
1/2 ounce rich simple syrup
1/4 ounce oregat
1/2 ounce dry Curacao
2 ounces rum

In cocktails I generally switched to homemade stuff, like syrups and juices directly from fruit, and the quality shift is enormous. Have you ever compared commercial Grenadine to a homemade one?

6 Likes

Sounds interesting. Care to share the instructions?

3 Likes

There is a reason why I pick the best ready made Orgeat :). I tasted more than 400 Mai Tai´s by now and always want consistent ingredients for a fair judging, that´s why Menau Orgeat.

@DevidedByZero YouTube has some fairly good tutorials.
But I personally have to insist of Orgeat being more than just Almonds, water and sugar.
To me rosewater and orange blossom water are key and I also like a bit of Cognac to preserve the syrup.

here you go with some YouTube tutorials (they all vary in terms of complexity).

12 Likes

Pretty much the same goes for me. I ONLY use homemade Orgeat. And not the “lazy orgeat” using almond milk, but going from scratch by pan roasting almonds and then go from there. I also love adding small splits of pistachios in my orgeats once in a while for a cool twist. But procedure always the same:
Roast nuts
Smash nuts
Add same amount of water, nuts and sugar (i use dark cane / demerara) but use a tiny bit more water to compensate evaporation and bring to a simmer. EDIT: just checked my recipe book i use 1 part nuts, 1 part sugar and 1,5 parts water
Shut off heat and let sit u til room temperature.
You can even take a bit more water and do this twice.
At the end i add some splashes of irange blossom water and cognac or rum.
Sometimes i also add pieces of marcipan to the mix.
At the end i sqeeze the results theough a linen and the. Store in the fridge up to two weeks (but it never lasts that long :joy:)

13 Likes

It’s 0.5 kg almonds, 1l of water and 0.5 kg of sugar.
I roast the almonds on a pan, grind them in food processor (to a rice-size pieces, not powder), them boil water in a pot, dissolve sugar and add almonds. Bring to boil and stop cooking, let it rest for a day, covered. Then you have a “paste” so you need to strain it with cheesecloth or a strainer. I prefer the strainer because you still pass small almond fragments and the syrup is more raw. You probably need to repeat the straining several times and the dry sweet processed almond mass is good for some bakery like the bottom of a cake.

And this is it. Add some rum for infinite shelf time.

13 Likes

I just finished a batch of Oregat, this time using Muscavado turbinated sugar instead of my usual dry Demerara. I think that Muscavado gave the syrup more earthy taste with hints of molasses and I will certainly switch to this recipe in the future. It’s a little less sweet and more complex in taste.

3 Likes

How about a Mai Tai workshop? All this talk (and the pictures) makes me thirsty… :drooling_face:

8 Likes

Good idea !!

2 Likes

I’m holding it kind of later today :partying_face:

2 Likes

For the Mai Tai professionals amongst us…

6 Likes

not exactly the original Rum. Initially it was created with a W&N 17 years old, but that Mai Tai would cost more than 800$.

But anyway…would love to try this one :slight_smile:

8 Likes

https://instagram.com/missionmaitai?igshid=ZWIzMWE5ZmU3Zg==

Ich kann auch diesen neu gegründeten Instagramchannel für die Maitai-Connaisseure empfehlen. Auch ein sehr netter Betreiber mit viel Fachwissen. :innocent:

9 Likes

And it’s not even period correct and the wrong Curacao :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

it’s getting nerdy :wink::joy::hugs:

6 Likes

@MoparRules well…that´s a topic which is SUPER SERIOUS ;). Don´t mess up Mai Tai specs.

@TheDunderHut yes true story…but I´m sure it will sell quite well :wink:

8 Likes