What are you drinking / random rum talk

Following through on my New Year’s rum resolution to explore more of the world of agricole :grin: After tonight there will be an alcohol-free period for six weeks minimum. Cheers guys :tumbler_glass:

12 Likes

Clairin from Caroni Cask vs Whiskey Cask

12 Likes

interesting, I do the same for many years now, from January 1st on 6-8 weeks no alcohol. It’s quite fascinating to see the changes to the body; good luck

9 Likes

I had a glass of HV DOK and STCE open for hours now. While I was a bit disappointed after my first try before new Years eve, I really enjoyed both today.
The DOK is quite dirty and so much more than Bananas only.
The STCE is a bit weird, but so much Marzipan. That’s lovely.

12 Likes

HV Monymusk 2015 - Highly recommended for use in Mai Tais :drooling_face::drooling_face: :grin:

15 Likes

This does not help with dry January :wink:

How does it compare to the HV EMB monymusk? Noticeably fruitier?

7 Likes

I love the glass :heart_eyes:

I need to buy some tiki glasses but I have two obstacles:

• they are expensive and it bothers me a little to put so much money in cocktail glasses. Solution: I need to find some on sale.
  • My wife finds them “kitsch”. Solution : do without the glasses or change my wife? :grin:
9 Likes

Maybe just have both…? :thinking::sweat_smile:

The glas is actually from Rum Depot and quite fairly priced imho. However, a bit larger than your usual tiki mug - I would guess ~ 0.4 liters.

Not sure if they ship to France… but happy to help, if you fancy one or two :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

In my opinion (and from memory) the EMB is a tick better overall. That said, I like the MMW and to be fair: the EMB is just really, really good :grin:

To me the MMW isn’t too much fruit forwards in the sense of a „Jamaican fruit explosion“. There are quite some nice tropical / dried fruits, but overall it feels quite mature given its moderate age and more focused on roasted/dark/musty notes.

8 Likes

@Rodolphe: I’m almost every week in the Rum Depot and could help, too. :wink:

5 Likes

Kitsch is the very essence of modern tiki, the “authentic inauthenticiy”. It was meant to imitate Polynesian stuff but the majority people just invented themselves. Later TV verified that jungle island live is no paradise…

If I were you, I’d try to educate the wife and make her understand what is this that you are willing to have. In the modern tiki reviewal kitsch and ornamentation overkills are the kind of goal.

Good luck with that :wink:

10 Likes

Cheers out there :blush:

24 Likes

Because there was a recent discussion on it: The Bristol 1997 Caroni w/ (unperceivable) 61.5%

Reminds me my car and bike need some service and new oiling for the upcoming season :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Two really old vintages in direct comparison today:

Did you have the opportunity to taste the two rums at the GRF? What were your impressions?

17 Likes

Enjoy your evening!

21 Likes

Cohiba, niiiiiice :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Das Bier war zwar über dem Haltbarkeitsdatum, aber das hat sich zum Glück nicht auf den Geschmack ausgewirkt

14 Likes

Ich werde ab Februar die Rum Welt wahrscheinlich für ein paar Monate verlassen, spiele aber angesichts mancher Angebote mit dem Gedanken mir für meine Rückkehr eine Flasche zu besorgen die dann geöffnet werden kann.

Angesichts des Berlin Bottle Angebotes liebäugle ich mich einer der CDI Mauritius Abfüllungen. Den Ex-Cognac konnte ich dank @Serge schon probieren und schreibe auch mit dem auf der Zunge. Tolles Teil, insbesondere die Menthol-Eukalyptus-Minz Noten begeistern mich! Aber der Ex-Armagnac lächelt mich auch, leider schaffe ich es nur dank Samplestau nicht mehr ihn rechtzeitig zu probieren.

Was sind eure Meinungen zu den beiden Abfüllungen? Zu welcher würdet ihr greifen? Philipp beschreibt den 11 jährigen Ex-Cognac als “mehr funky und intensiver”, den 13 jährigen Ex-Armagnac als “harmonischer”.

4 Likes

@Henry: Habe beide verglichen und mir sagt auch der 11ender etwas mehr zu, weil kräftiger.
Aber bei dem Angebot von Berlin Bottle scheint es leider zu haken, jedenfalls wurde der Aktionscode “Katerstimmung2023” bei meiner Eingabe nicht akzeptiert.
Update: Man muss das richtige Feld “Aktionscoupon” ausfüllen, nicht “Gutscheincode”, dann klappt’s auch. :wink:

3 Likes

Sehe ich genau so … mir sagt der 11 Jahre Cognac deutlich mehr zu, als der mit den zusätzlichen 2 Jahren Armagnac.

4 Likes