Best bars for rum lovers

I agree with the opinion about Weinquelle Lühmann. You can find their whole selection online, no real need to visit their store if you are looking for rare bottles.

Le lion as a bar is also a must-visit for me in Hamburg.

7 Likes

When I was there in March 2022, they had quite a good selection of rums on site. I bought the Mount gay XO Peat Smoke there, at MSRP. Of course, this is not a specialty store for premium rum, but the shelves (or rather the stock) were well filled.

But yes: the really good stuff is not on the sales floor, but in the warehouse.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for all the infos !

3 Likes

Hi,

Christiansen Bar near Fischmarkt is also nice and they have a huge amout of open bottles to taste. And of cause all the classic rum cocktails :wink:
Regards

5 Likes

Hallo Oliver,

gibt es eigentlich einen regelmäßigen RumX Treffpunkt in Stuttgart, wo man sich „austauschen“ kann? :smiley:

3 Likes

Aktuell gibt es noch keinen Community-Stammtisch. Aber das lässt sich ja ändern! :partying_face::tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

I will be in Brussels this weekend. Is there a recommendation for a good rum/cocktail bar and a good rum shop?

3 Likes

I was in Brussels last week.

I was advised to test the “modern alchimist” for good cocktails and rums (but didn’t have the time to test by myself).

I saw, tasted and bought some nice things at RhumAttitude in the city center, near the “Grand Place”.
Mig’s World wines can have some nice things.
I saw a few other shops with nice but not rare bottles.

5 Likes

Thanks! Will try both places.

2 Likes

The Modern Alchemist is very nice, as was already suggested. They also have a reasonable selection of sippers.

I would like to add Edgar’s Flavors as well.

2 Likes

Rhumattitude and the modern alchemist are indeed the best places for rum in Brussels.

In case you are also going to Gent, you can stop at The Drifter. A Tiki bar with a great rum selection. They just moved so most of the rums might still be in the basement :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Short report about the Brussels trip:

Thanks for the advice for my short Brussels trip.
I was there for a concert on Saturday, arrived on Friday evening and left on Sunday morning.
On Saturday morning, I visited Rhum Attitude shop. It is not huge, but wit a nice line up in the shelf and very nice people behind the counter. There are also nice open bottles with fair prices per cl (you can also take them as samples) and some own casks from which you can fill a bottle or samples (e.g. nice Neisson finished in Cognac cask).
My rum budget for this month is already exploited, so I didn’t buy anything except of some samples.
The prices for the bottles are also little high compared to the French online shop. The guys explained me that the difference is caused by different taxes in France and Belgium.
The shops have also different stocks and are registered as different companies, due to these tax reasons.
Despite of not buying anything, I had a real nice time there.

In the evening, after the concert, I visited with my friend the Modern Alchemist bar. Small, but veeeery nice.

Really good cocktails, with good ingredients, very nice r(h)um line up and very enthusiastic guys.

We had some Daiquiri and a surprisingly good variation of “Pisco” Sour, with a white Armagnac instead of Pisco.

I spend a longer time at the bar, in nice and interesting discussions with the bartenders.

They have an own rum bottling, which I got for a blind degustation. My guess was something like Mhoba or a Clairin, but it is a Worthy Park distilled from pure cane juice. Of course I had to take a bottle with me.

For sure, it is a place I will visit again when being in Brussels.

Thanks!

32 Likes

That for the nice impressions. The bar looks lovely.

I’m waiting for a more easily to buy version of this since GRF 2021. Maybe I need to go to Brussels tho :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Your travel reports never disappoint!

3 Likes

Thanks for the report !

I wish I had the opportunity to visit the Modern alchimist. Maybe another time.

1 Like

Wenn ich das gewusst hätte das du bei denen im Laden gewesen bist, dann hättest die mal fragen können, ob die was näheres wegen dem Swell Privat Garden #4 wissen.
Und sagen dass ich zu meiner Bestellung kein Riise free Sample dazu haben will. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Can anybody recommend good rum bars or shops in Japan? Particularly Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima? Any advice would be much appreciated!

6 Likes

Bar Lamp is an absolute must if you’re in Tokyo :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’m guessing that you can name a place to drink good rum for almost every country in the world. You probably even have a tip for Somalia and North Korea :nerd_face::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

When you’re in Osaka, you have to visit the “minefield” it’s an area full of bars located north of Osaka-Namba station.

Fair warning, you may wake up with a hangover :slight_smile:

4 Likes