Falernum Tipps und Diskussion

Da es zum Thema Falernum noch keinen eigenen Thread zu geben scheint, leg ich hier einfach mal einen an.

Welche Falernums würdet ihr empfehlen? Worauf sollte man beim Kauf achten? Welcher eignet sich am besten für Corn and Oil? Welche anderen Drinks mit Falernum findet ihr gut? Habt ihr Rezepte zum selber machen?

Ich verwende Talyors Velvet und finde den lecker, aromatisch und für verschiedene Drinks gut nutzbar.

7 Likes

@crazyforgoodbooze hat letztens einen extrem leckeren selber gemacht.

10 Likes

Lukas ist auch ein Spezi für Falernum-Fragen
@lukasdrinkinghabits

10 Likes

Und ich finde, dass es auch ein bisschen drauf ankommt, was man am Falernum gern mag.

Der eine mag mehr Gewürze, also Nelken (oder auch Piment und Vanille) drin. Andere mögen lieber, dass die Hauptzutaten (Limette, Mandel, Ingwer) im Vordergrund stehen.

Ich mag Falernum mit eher weniger Nelke.

Edit: habe auch schon selbst eins gemacht … und das war natürlich das Beste. Nicht zu vergessen: Der verwendete Rum spielt ja – neben dem Gewürzverhältnis – auch eine sehr sehr wichtige Rolle.

12 Likes

I tried falernum only recently. Thanks to minimalist tiki book, I made my own.
and I totally agree with Serge!
I’ve bought the falernum from Bitter truth. It’s quite the same as mine with less sugar but more cloves.
I find mine better.

10 Likes

I’ve had the Bitter Truth Falernum, Taylor Velvet Falernum and Cockspur Old Time Recipe Falernum.
The Bitter Truth Falernum was way too intense for my liking. Too much ginger if I remember correctly. For me it was way too dominant in a cocktail (also in a Corn n oil).
I use the Taylor and the Cockspur Falernum frequently. The Cockspur ist more suptle in flavor which I prefer in a Corn n oil, because it let’s the rum shine. In most other recipes I prefer the Taylor.

7 Likes

I highly recommend the Belle Booze Falernum

8 Likes

I switch between making my own falernum, either Beachbum Berry’s or Distinguished Spirits’s, (if I need lots of it and want to rebalance flavor) and Taylor’s (for consistency and shelf life). Both have their merits.

Qua falernum-forward cocktail suggestions: a lot of people tend to like a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, but I find that too dry and spicy. I’m a much bigger fan of a Golden Wave, which is a lighter breakfast-style cocktail with the same amount of falernum.

5 Likes

Ich mag den Taylors als Standard. Ich habe aktuell auch noch den Old Judge offen, den finde ich auch lecker, aber etwas zu konzentriert, der übertönt für mich den Rum etwas zu sehr.

5 Likes

In Sachen gekauftes Falernum führt kein Weg an beiden old judge falernums vorbei. Unschlagbar insbesondere das special reserve… Taylor’s und TBT find ich zu süß und Künstlich…

Ansonsten selbst gemacht ist das standard Rezept von beachbum berry relativ simpel. Siehe Screenshot.

Ich persönlich hab meins daran angelehnt und bissl gepimpt :smile: @Oliver durfte schon probiern und war sowohl im Corn’n’Oil als auch royal Bermuda Yacht Club extrem geil…

Mein Falernum Rezept

:
1 Zimtstange
2 Vanilleschoten
½ TL Zimtblütenpulver
4 schwarze pfefferkörner 3 Szechuan Pfeffer Körner
7 Piment Körner
1 Kakaobohne
1 tonkabohne gerieben
2 Sternanis
7 nelken
Etwas muskatnuss
Zesten von 6 großen Limetten mit der Micropläne
50g fein gehackter/geriebener Ingwer

120ml Wray nephew Overproof 63%
30ml 69% fine drams new Yarmouth white
30ml Hampden estate 8y 60%
180ml Mount gay black barrel 66% overproof 66%
30ml adriarico roasted amaretto

36-48h ziehen lassen, passieren und ausquetschen = 360ml rum Gewürz falernum Infusion

12 Likes

Ich persönlich mag die intensive Würzigkeit des Bitter Truth sehr gerne - insbesondere im Royal Bermuda Yachtclub mit einem gehobenen Barbadian Mixer wie dem Doorly’s 12 oder dem Mount Gay XO.

3 Likes

Yup, Taylor’s all the way for standard usage. Agreed on the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, always found it overrated. Golden wave is :yum:

2 Likes

Love to try falernums in drinks. Some of my favorite go-to’s:

• Corn n’oil (duh)
  • Golden wave
  • Nuclear daiquiri
  • South Pacific Punch
  • 3 dots and a dash
  • Chow chicka bow wow
  • Puka Punch
  • Saturn
  • Baron Samedi
  • Port au Prince

Gonna add one of my own creations as well that is pretty driven by the falernum:

Lockpick (May 2023)
3 cl gold/lightly aged Jamaican rum
2 cl dark English style rum
1 cl Armagnac
1.5 velvet falernum
0.75 pimento dram
2 cl lime juice
1 cl lemon juice
2 dashes angostura bitters

Shake with ice and strain to chilled Nick & Nora glass.

10 Likes

I’ve never heard of golden wave, south Pacific punch, baron same do & chow chicka bow wow :grinning: where do you find these from?

3 Likes

Couldn’t even remember all the places I’ve scoured after making thousands of cocktails over several years but some great resources where I’ve mined my rum drinks are:

• Smuggler’s cove book
  • Diffords guide
  • The Death & Company books (has a lot of filler and needless complication though)
  • Everything Beachbum Berry (the books have more than the app)
  • PDT (the app and the book)
  • Straight up internet historical research where I would just identify the seminal rum havens and restaurants and try to find out what their signature drinks were that haven’t been mentioned elsewhere. That’s how I got hold of gold like my adjusted version of the Lost Lake and the original version of the Bahama Mama which is almost impossible to find correctly written up in print.
9 Likes
5 Likes

Really great suggestions these.

I would only like to add Tropical Standard by Garret Richard & Ben Schaffer. It’s quite technical and thus beyond casual hobbyism, but the cocktail techniques and recipes are very -very!- informative.

I picked up the Golden Wave recipe out of Beachbum Berry’s Intoxica!, but I tweaked the recipe a bit.

3 Likes

The app seems to be not available for Android? Is that correct? :frowning:

3 Likes

Yes. I use the old iPad for the beachbum app

1 Like