Rum with Tobacco notes

Hey all,

I’ve come to realize that whenever there is a strong tobacco note in a rum, I’m interested.

This type of profile is of course not exclusive to any one distillery, although in my experience it tends to be that this note is perhaps more common in the so called English style.

If you have come across rums with particularly strong tobacco notes, would you please share them? For those looking for guidance in taste (or the same note) I can submit a couple of famous examples such as the Rx5934, Rx568, Rx113.

In the hopes of coming across more rums with this type of profile where there is a strongly discernible tobacco profile, please let me know!

8 Likes

First one that jumped to mind was RX11800. I myself didn’t find the tobacco note to be too overpowering, but all accompanying aromas were present. Very pleasant. Can still be found at a reasonable price.

6 Likes

Nice, will try to procure a sample asap

1 Like

Hi,

not sure if you read it already but maybe this topic fits

regards

4 Likes

Thank you yes I scanned that one but unfortunately I did not find many recommendations I liked so I figured I’d refresh the topic with some guideline suggestions of my own to perhaps jog some more taste memories that people may have :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi!

Patridom rums have quite strong tobacco notes, not expensive at all, Spanish style, but they are also quite sweet…

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll get a few samples to see for myself. The sweetness does worry me a bit in the case of patridom but I’m open to giving it a shot nevertheless.

3 Likes

Ah then i would go for RX66. Its cheap and for me a memorable tobacco note

2 Likes

Another…

5 Likes

@w00tAN @LukaZiga

Thanks for these, guys. I’ve tried both the standard black tot and the Quorhum and although quite alright they were not quite powerful enough for me in their taste profile to really give me that full yummy in their expression. Of the master blender tots I’ve only tried the 2021 which has a tobacco note but nowhere near as strong as the Corman Collins full strength for example. Good suggestions though and I can tell you have the right idea what I’m searching for, appreciated!

4 Likes

No 1998 Bellevue so far? The Nobilis has 12 mentions of tabaco (4th place) in the flavor notes… so I think I’m not the only one with that association.

6 Likes

This looks fantastic, will have to pick it up. Just placed an order for black tot 50th anniversary as well from personal recommendation based on my presumption of English style predominance but I would never have thought to see so many Frenchies with strong tobacco notes! Just goes to show that it’s often a good idea to ask around a bit to challenge one’s presumptions. Many thanks!

5 Likes

Hi,
I would say most Skeldons have some tobacco notes. And also this Ten Cane came on my mind RX18753.
Some old Guadeloupe rums as well but they are expensive and hard to find (like Damoiseau 1991 or 1989)
This RX18188 is more weed then tobacco but could suit your taste :))
RX7785 is more smoky and woody but it associate me also tobacco notes

2 Likes

For me, the Angostura 1919 (RX57) has some cigar-like tastes.

2 Likes

@Godspeed do you actually prefer the tobacco notes on the nose or on the palate?

It might be somewhat off topic, but in Florence, I purchased the Tabacco Toscano aftershave from OPF Santa Maria Novella. It has the most incredible Tobacco notes!

2 Likes

Good clarification. Palate is more important for me. I enjoy a tobacco nose (a lot) but what I’m searching for is for a noticeable tobacco expression on the palate.

1 Like

Thank you so much for these great suggestions! I only have one Skeldon (the 2000 rare collection) but I can’t wait to cork it open sometime in the future (currently working on the Diamond cbh20 which also does have noticeable but not mega strong tobacco notes).

Guyana was very much what I was expecting most suggestions to be around but it seems a tobacco note is actually quite hard to pin down and can show up a little bit all over it seems.

2 Likes

The Clément 1970 has a clear tobacco aroma on the palate, RX6146.

2 Likes

Clement seems to have more than one expression with this note. Placed an order last night for one of their private casks (Opulence) that supposedly may have it.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find a place to buy the cigarshops Clement recommended above but I will be in Belgium in a few weeks and will try to get one then from a physical shop. I’ll also start dropping hints for my birthday for this 1970 beauty! :wink:

2 Likes

Abuelo 15 tawny port cask finish is all the way filled with tobacco notes. Very pleasant indeed.

3 Likes